Mike Mitchell

Default Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:57:56 +0100, "Set Square"

John Smith wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in message

If you really want to keep storage heaters (which - in my opinion -
are an invention of the Devil!) you can get modern ones with much
better insulation and output heat control - along with booster fans
connected to the normal supply to get heat out during the day.

If I had them, I'd throw the lot out and put in a decent gas-fired
system with radiators. Not only is this much cheaper to run, but it
is also infinitely more controllable - and provides heat when *you*
want it - not when your supplier says you can have it!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Thanks - I would put in gas but the plan is to move in the next 2
years so it is not cost effective.

I wouldn't be too sure about that! Assuming that you own the property rather
than rent it, you are likely to increase the value by more than the cost if
you put in a decent heating system. Storage heaters are a strong
disincentive to many potential buyers.

Completely correct. I am avoiding all properties with oil, only giving
Economy 7 ones a cursory look - and putting ones with gas-fired CH on
my short list! I believe oil is an absolute no-no. Quite apart from
the cost and the nuisance of having to get a lorry out, it's smelly
and you have this eyesore of a tank in the back garden.

MM