Mike Mitchell

Default Crappy night-time economy 7 electric heaters

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 22:35:59 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:

If I had them, I'd throw the lot out and put in a decent gas-fired system
with radiators. Not only is this much cheaper to run, but it is also
infinitely more controllable - and provides heat when *you* want it - not
when your supplier says you can have it!

An interesting thread, as I am contemplating whether to go for
properties with Economy 7 heating. The feeling seems to be, no.

My preferred fuel is gas, but what if there is no gas? Would you
consider Calor gas? Isn't that even more expensive?

We all grew up in unheated houses. The only source of heat was the
open fires my dad laid every morning. Later, in a much larger house,
we had a massive Aga in one of the kitchens and that was kept going
throughout the year. Quite warm in summer, of course, but then we kids
spent hardly any time in doors anyway! The heat from the Aga permeated
throughout the house.

So, gas, Calor gas, propane (I assume it's the same thing), oil, or
solid fuel? What about just using electric heaters (not eco 7 ones)
and lots of insulation?

MM