Dave Hinz

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:00:02 GMT, Ignoramus1729 wrote:
On 3 Oct 2005 20:52:19 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Iggy, what's the composition of the bullet in question?

FMJ

OK, so copper jacket, lead core. Do you have another round as a sample?
Could you measure from the tip of the bullet to the muzzle, (depth mic)
to see exactly what the positioning is? You'd need to know how far from
the muzzle the front of the chamber is, and I don't have a Beretta to
measure up for you (oddly enough...) but if you could determine the
position of the case vs. the chamber, that would tell us a lot about the
geometry.

Another thought, and I'm not sure if it's a good one, would be to make a
sleeve to go into the barrel, out of nylon or similar. Protect the
rifling, go in with a gun drill, and take a hole (.125 or so?) through
the bullet. Drain powder, and then you're just dealing with a primer,
not really a big concern then. This may be dramatically unsafe of an
act to carry out and really bad advice, but it _would_ eliminate the
concerns of it going off once you finished the operation. Hand
drilling, slowly, well out of the way... I dunno. Not my idea of a good
time, but less of a bad time than hammering on a gun with a live round
in the pipe.

Would I be out of place in asking how the hell this happened in the
first place?

Dave