Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:18:51 -0500, Rex B wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

Back to remedial reading comprehension classes for you Mark. I said shot,
not murdered.

I'm terribly sorry about that. Over here, we tend to associate being shot with
being killed. An easy mistake to make.

that fits with MY definition of 'gun control' - hitting one's target

When faced with an assailant sometimes you can get your point across
just fine by stopping them to neutralize the threat, you don't have to
kill them right off. Besides being far more humane, the permanent
limp (or worse) you leave them with will be a constant lifelong
reminder that crime does not pay.

But then you get the slick lawyers and the ACLU coming after you or
shooting him after the fact, so you can't win for losing. You pray
for a Judge and Jury with the sense to toss the case.

It's the assailants who won't take the hint to go down and stay down
with their hands in plain sight, but instead they keep coming at you,
possibly because they're hopped up on Cocaine, PCP, or other drugs
where they don't feel a thing - that's when you need to empty the gun
till they stop.

Or you get the yahoo who managed to acquire some Body Armor, shrugs
off the first shot in the center of mass and keeps coming, so you have
to go for the head shot.

Sorry if it sounds a bit barbaric, but when we founded this country
most people didn't live in a city with a constable on every corner to
respond almost instantly. Sometimes you had to travel a week to find
some help. Even with automobiles and aircraft cutting travel times,
there is still a sizable population living in Rural USA on farms and
ranches and small towns that's still in the same boat. We have a lot
of open space to cover, and a relatively small police force per
capita, so you are still partially on your own.

You can call 911 and report a "Hot Prowl" burglar in your house, and
the dispatcher will tell you that the one County Sheriff's patrol car
on duty tonight is at the other end of the county and will be up to an
hour arriving. If you are lucky, they can call the Highway Patrol or
the next city/county over, and see if they have anyone closer who can
respond.

Or a really good small town dispatcher knows which of your neighbors
is ahem "equipped to deal with a problem like that" (let's say a
Reserve or Off-Duty Deputy or Officer) and calls them. Still could
take them 15 minutes to arrive.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545