gk

Goedjn wrote:
OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the subpanels
are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially cheaper 10/3
AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be sufficient:
2000W heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such, gives me ~15A,
assuming full useage? 30A seems like it would be sufficient, and a LOT
cheaper. Comments?
thx

What are you using the shed for, again? And what's the price
difference, and does that price difference change if you go
to conduit and/or individual strand?

Well, it is actually more like a backyard "cabin". About 250 sq feet,
with one indoor light fixture, one outdoor motion-activated light. it
willl have a couch, a table and a desk. It is like adding a room on to a
house I figure. Electrical load will be TV, heater, maybe a tredmill,
light, etc. Light electircal load, I think. Occaisonally I willl be
running a miter saw or skill saw, or some other power tool. One at a
time, always. I think 30A is enogh, but I will run conduit, in case I
want to change.

I wonder, if I run conduit, the whole way out, even if it is
underground, do I need UF cable?

30A is probably enough for a home workshop with one user,
and if you use conduit, you can always swap out the
feeder and breaker(s) if you decide to upgrade.

(Although if we were making stone soup, I'd observer that
having a few extra amps for an arc-welder is always, good,
and wouldn't it be nice to be able to put in AC and a
refridgerator?...)

--Goedjn