Pop

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
: Pop wrote:
:
: ...
:
: :
: : There is no such law.
: : --
:
: I believe he's questioning the existence of the "law" you
mentioned
: earlier regarding requirements for "fixing all substandard if
fix
: anything" (my paraphrase)...
:
: I wondered about that myself as I'm unaware of any such actual
law in
: place, but wouldn't say there isn't something that might be
applicable
: in some certain instances--but I'd think if there were they
would
: ordinarily only be for commercial or public structures, etc.,
:
: Perhaps you could/would amplify on the basis for the
previous...

Ah, I see, I think. "Law" wasn't the correct term, and though I
don't recall using it I probably did. I looked and didn't see
it, so ... .
Anyway, you have to keep in mind that I was making
generalizations about things that -could- get in the way, not
that -would-. I probably meant that the local codes in some
places can require that if you upgrade one part of a
grandfathered installation, especially residential, you have to
upgrade the whole thing if it doesn't meet current codes. I live
in one of those areas. It's not as strict as I make it sound and
other things come into play, but I'm no guru on the subject by
any means; sorry if I gave that impression.
A few years back I helped a neighbor put in a new entrance
box. We were pretty disappointed to discover that a new entrance
box also meant that everything connected to it had to meet the
current codes, which meant the old knob & tube stuff in the attic
had to go, a new run was required to a sub panel in the basement,
gfci's had to be installed, wire pulled out of old gas pipes, and
so on. We tried to argue it, but lost. It was quite a pain
getting through some of the plank siding.
Like I said in my post though, I was making references to
possibilities, not saying those things would occur or be
required.

PopS