HorneTD

chester wrote:
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:56:31 -0700, chester
wrote:

OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the
subpanels are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially
cheaper 10/3 AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be
sufficient: 2000W heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such,
gives me ~15A, assuming full useage? 30A seems like it would be
sufficient, and a LOT cheaper. Comments?

Get a 2/4 disconnect and install one 15a 2 pole for the heat and two
20a single pole for the 120v loads. Put a GFCI receptacle for the
first receptacle on each circuit. You can put the lights on the
non-GFCI side. "Diversity" will keep you out of trouble.
Be sure to get the suplimental grounding bus, don't install the
bonding screw, drive a rod (goes to the grounding bus).

SO your thinking 30A would be sufficient to serve my needs? I mean, I
could add a 3000W device(s) and still be under...

I got a 100A sub-panel, the grounding bus, will NOT bond the neutral,
and will eventually add a gounding rod outside. But do I really need a
disconnect?

The US NEC requires a disconnecting means for each separate structure.

"225.31 Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that
supply or pass through the building or structure.
225.32 Location.
The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of
the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through
the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For
the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be
permitted to be utilized."

So as long as your panel is located "at a readily accessible location
nearest the point of entrance of the conductors" all you have to do is
install a double pole breaker with a breaker tie down kit and feed your
supply into the breakers terminals. That breaker is then the service
disconnecting means for the shed. The phrase "nearest the point of
entrance of the conductors" is generally held to mean not more than five
linear or ten wire feet from were the conductors enter the structure.

Since, IIRC, you are in Washington State you would be under the Uniform
Building Code (UBC). The UBC has no rules about whether the disconnect
is inside or outside of the structure. The Southern Building Code
required and exterior disconnecting means at one time.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison