chester

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:56:31 -0700, chester
wrote:

OK OK I have decided to run a subpanel. BUT cripes, while the subpanels
are cheap, man, 8/3 AWG is PRICY. OK so using substantially cheaper 10/3
AWG gives me a 30A subpanel. I would think this would be sufficient:
2000W heater, plus antoher 1000W for outlets and such, gives me ~15A,
assuming full useage? 30A seems like it would be sufficient, and a LOT
cheaper. Comments?

Get a 2/4 disconnect and install one 15a 2 pole for the heat and two
20a single pole for the 120v loads. Put a GFCI receptacle for the
first receptacle on each circuit. You can put the lights on the
non-GFCI side. "Diversity" will keep you out of trouble.
Be sure to get the suplimental grounding bus, don't install the
bonding screw, drive a rod (goes to the grounding bus).

SO your thinking 30A would be sufficient to serve my needs? I mean, I
could add a 3000W device(s) and still be under...

I got a 100A sub-panel, the grounding bus, will NOT bond the neutral,
and will eventually add a gounding rod outside. But do I really need a
disconnect?