HorneTD

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:35:15 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

I might be wrong but I do not think your application would permit two
feeders under the different voltages provision since the 120 volts is
derived as one leg of the 240 volts and thereby CAN be provided from one
feeder. Such a provision would apply if you were supplying 480 and 120
volts, where two panels would be required. You might be more comfortable
with two feeders but that is not the normal way it's done. I think the
primary consideration is that in a fire or other emergency it is possible
for emergency personnel to shut off all power to a structure by killing the
feed without having to figure out if there might be others.
Don Young

You are right but I would not consider it the most dangerous thing in
the world.

Yes but it is still a code violation and as one of the guys that crawls
into the buidings that all of you sane types have run out of I would ask
that you cut us a break and follow the code. That includes providing a
single disconnecting means that will deenergize the entire structure as
required by the code. If you really want to be nice to us then you
could mount the disconecting means outside the building.

"225.31 Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that
supply or pass through the building or structure.
225.32 Location.
The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of
the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through
the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily
accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For
the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be
permitted to be utilized."

--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.