Stephen Hull

Default Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish

In message
"Eric the Red" wrote:

Not wanting to sound like I am bragging but I think I am quite good at diy
woodworking. In my time I have built plenty of units, shelves, door frames
and put up lots of skirtting and the like. I am usually pleased with the
results of the actual woodworking standard, things are square, no gaps and
they are solid enough. Where I do get disappointed is when I have painted
what I have done, it just never looks that good. I take my time not to get
runs and work the paint to take off any excess.

Anyone got any good tips as I am sure I am not the only one not happy with
the quality of a painted finish.

At first I thought it was cheap brushes then the quality of the paint. My
painting is better but I think still room for improvement.

For what it's worth you can produce brush work with absolutely no brush
marks showing. You should use a decent quality paint and an equal choice
in the quality of paintbrush will help.

You need the slower drying linseed oil based paint that gives wider open
times helping to eliminate brush marks completely.

A few tips on brushing methods can be found he
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/brush.html

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes