Dave D

"Sunitha Kode" wrote in message
oups.com...
My 28" Sony Trinitron TV fell off to its face from about a feet's
height. It first landed on the top left edge of the case & subsequently
fell to its face.

Now, when I switch on the TV gives a flash once & then shows nothing. I
can see the channel number, AV1, AV2 etc. on the top left but in red
colour (it used to be shown in green). I can see the progress bar for
volume when I change the volume. But I can't see the picture. Audio is
perfect.

I think the picture tube is gone but I want to be sure about it. Is
there any way to confirm this myself without the help of a technician?

I opened the TV to see if there are any cracks on the CRT but there are
none.

Any information in this regards os much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The other posters are most likely right IMO- the aperture grille in the CRT
is damaged/shifted. I managed to restore a rather badly damaged (dropped)
Trinitron by a lot of fiddling with the yoke rings and placing magnets on
the CRT, but I guess I was lucky, and had too much time on my hands ;-). You
may find a few degauss cycles lessens the symptoms, but it isn't very
likely. Also it's worth considering that the integrity of the CRT may have
been compromised. It may not be visible, but there may be weaknesses in the
glass which could prove dangerous. You don't say what kind of surface it
fell on, but if it was concrete, I'd be wary.

Dave