Andy Hall

On 30 Sep 2005 03:37:52 -0700, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
zymurgy wrote:

snip goodstuff

The front face of the frames have 18mm ply fitted to it and then
painted to reflect as much light as possible.

I'd like to do it with ply, but I think that'll be a lot more expensive
than OSB. Why did you choose Ply over MDF, OSB or Chipboard ?

Quality, strength and longevity, really. Although the garage does
not have damp issues, I was not enthusiastic about using chipboard or
MDF for deterioration and strength reasons. Possibly OSB would be a
reasonable second choice after ply.

So, batten the floor too then when framing ? not just put the board
down to floor level ? The floor is concrete.

I didn't do the floor.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I mean put the framing horizontally, as well as
vertically. I can batten the wall directly as it's brick, so quite easy
to plug and screw to, but I was toying with the idea of not putting a
horizontal batten on the floor. maybe I should and put a piece of DPC
under it.

I made rectangular frames with pieces projecting vertically to attach
to the joists. I put DPC material under the horizontal parts of the
frames at the bottom and bolted through them into the floor.
I didn't want to fix frames to the wall at all to allow ventilation
behind.

Added to this, I would have had to use
quite a lot of timber to support the woodworking machinery -
combination machine weighing around 1000kg.

This is a garage, so it'll have to stay conctrete on the floor incase I
put the car in to work on ..

OK. I don't use the garage for cars at all. They belong outside
AFAIAC and car repairers can work on them :-)

Using a good quality epoxy floor paint has been well worthwhile.

Nevertheless, the floor is never a problem in terms of feeling
cold.

Any ideas where I can get some of that industrial rubber lattice mat
they use in workshops at a reasonable price. I think if i'm off the
floor by the workbench it won't feel quite so cold on the feet.

Mr Grunff helped me here. Horse mats are moderately inexpensive,
relatively speaking

http://www.sovereign-rubber.co.uk/

I didn't want to use the lattice type because it is a PITA to clean
sawdust etc. out of it.

Paul.

--

..andy