Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

George wrote:

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, there is a taper there. But it's a locating taper, not a
holding one. It's around 45 degrees per side, and very short. The
spindles are held more by the short stub, 1/2" diameter or so, that
fits inside the hollow spindle. Ignore my measurements - they're
guesses from memory.

Mine has a stud and a tapered nut to lock down the upper taper which is, as
I said 3/4. Must be some break point in the 70's where they changed that?

I don't think so on the LD...the same stub shaft that was on Amazon
yesterday (as unavailable and it wasn't there today when I went to
reference it so I guess my hitting an unavailable part triggered their
update robot) is the one that fits my circa '75 machines.

Just dawned on me...you're talking about the base of the spindle above
where it's turned down to the small diameter...that part is of very
little consequence other than for providing a base for the cutters to
ride on and a shelf for the tensioning rod to tighten against--it
doesn't proved any rotational strength which is limited by the turned
down lower shaft---that's what concerns me about using larger cutters on
the LD shaper.

I was mistaking your comment to be refering to the lower end and that it
was a tapered fit, sorry...