D Murphy

wrote in news:1128260520.193820.206700
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I need some guidance on figuring out what the bolt hole co-ordinates
are to build a drive flange. The hub I need to bolt to has three
holes, evenly spaced with a center to center dimension of 3.607. How
do I calculate what the bolt hole x-y co-ordinates are to drill this
when held in the mill vice? thanks in advance, ron

Trigonometry.

Start by drawing a triangle with the center of your three holes as the
corners. Next draw two lines on each side of the triangle in such a way
that the triangle becomes a square. One of those lines is the amount you
need to move the table cross ways (X), the other is how far you move
toward an away from yourself (Y).

To solve for the sides of the right triangle you've just drawn:

Known - The hypoteneuse is 3.607" (side c)

Angle A = 30 degrees (the original triange has 180 degrees divided by
three equals 60 degrees in each corner. Since you made the new triangle a
right angle to the bottom of the original triangle you take 90 degrees
minus 60 degrees and you have 30)

So now you know A and c. to solve for a and b:

a=c X sin A

b=c X cos A

a=1.8035

b=3.1238