Simon Avery

Default Wanted: Advice on Garage Racking

David Longley wrote:

Hello David

DL| I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which
DL| are at present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking
DL| around at what's available at B&Q it would cost something
DL| like 360 pounds if I used large 240 x 122cm chipboard (each
DL| cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6 sheets plus 3
DL| brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per shelf
DL| (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and
DL| paint and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the
DL| shelves)

Seal? I didn't bother, and mine are Ok. As long as it's dry chipboard
is fine.

Have a look around in the sheds for the the 3/4" 4' chipboard sections
designed for lofts. I found out that in B&Q a few years ago these were
far cheaper than buying a 8x4 sheet and cutting it down, and they were
the perfect depth for garage shelving.

DL| Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest
DL| a cheaper, more effective solution?

If you're not averse to tip scrounging, melamine wardrobes and
furniture is often chucked out there and a few minutes work with a
circular saw can give some goodish shelves.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/