wanderer

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

"Peter Ashby" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"wanderer" wrote:

As I said elsewhere, the official line is that nothing has been proved.
There are some reports out possibly from the National Radiological
Protection Board that don't actually say there's no danger, but that

there
is no evidence to prove there's any danger from electromagnetic fields,
which, of course isn't quite the same thing. There was also I think a
Swedish report that came out about 10 or 12 years ago that said there

was
evidence to prove there was a danger. In the end, I guess you pays your
money and takes your choice depending on your view point!

Well I can tell you that the effects of magnetic fields on developing
embryos are well documented for one biological effect. TMS shows that
magnetic fields can affect cognition as well. So we know magnetic fields
affect biological systems, the question of course is one of field
strength (and direction) allied with long term exposure.

My wife administered an epidemiology study which measured levels in
homes and sought a correlation with cancers. I can't remember what the
conclusions were, but I'll ask. It was of the 'did the electricity meter
on the other side of the wall from the bed cause my kid's brain tumour?'
type.

I came across one unusual case quite a few years ago, where a very highly
strung woman was claiming to hear very load humming from the meter / the low
voltage overheads in the street / an 11kv line a couple of fields away / a
(defunct and de-ernergised) 132 kv circuit a couple of miles away. She'd
been to Bristol (?) Uni to have her hearing checked, and had fans running in
her bedroom all night to mask this alleged hum!

In the end we tracked it down to some extractor fans in an abbatoir about
1/4 mile away. Got them to turn off the fans whilst telling her that we were
disconnecting her electricity supply - there was a reason to mislead her.
When she said the noise had disappeared, we could tell her that her
electricity hadn't been turned off, but the fans had. She had become totally
convinced that the problem was an electrical hum, and we had to prove that
it wasn't by leaving her leccy on unbeknowns to her.