Don Foreman

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 02:46:12 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Well, the guys doing the line repair to the 8kv line in the last storm
certainly didn't ground that line. They repaired the line by removing
the tree that was on it, flipped in a new fuse and POW! right in the
lineman's face. He dryly observed that there was probably another tree
on the line that they should have checked for.

A nit. Linemen treat ungrounded lines as "hot", and routinly work
with hot 8KV lines. Moot point because local gennys must never
backfeed the grid.

While YOU may do things correctly, I always worry about someone else
that comes along and either buys the property or does it in your
absence. The two that come along fairly regularly on this NG are hooking
up gensets and running welder ciruits. Hooking up gensets should be
intuitive to a "helper" that your wife got to come over when you were on
a trip (or whatever). Welding circuits can be deliberately overbreakered
(as allowed by the NEC) but what happens when you sell the house, get
infirm, or whatever. The NEXT person uses the circuit for something else.

Perhaps you should have phrased that more generically, as 'the wife"
or "my (Roy's) wife". Mary is quite able to deal with situations
that would customarily be mine to deal with. The converse is also
true. **** happens. Help is often most abundantly available when
least needed.

YMMV. Feel free to worry.