brassbend

Hi,
The tool is pretty common in brass musical instrument repair. Ferrees
music here in the US can mail you one. They are on the web somewhere. I
just picked up one at a hardware store that was closing... mine was made in
china so if you have any of the stores there that sell Chinese tools you
might find one.

LB

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Gerald Miller wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:41:14 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

doc wrote:
I have need of an old tool called a 3 cornered scaper. It is at
first sight, similar to a triangular file, with no teeth. Does
anybody know of a place in the UK where one can be purchased? Or
failing that, I was informed that such an implement can be
manufactured from an afformentioned triangular file, with the teeth
ground off it by a grinding wheel, and three fine edges left on it.
Does anyone have any experience of this.

You cam make one from a three-cornered file.
It takes some time and patience.
I have several but the best one is made by grinding one side in a
curve. This curve meets the two other (straight) sides in a point.
This makes a much more versatile tool.

Ken.

IIRC this is also known as a bearing scraper - at least that's what I
bought from Pascal Hardware about 25 years ago ($1.49)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I just caught up with your post Garry.
A bearing scraper (at least the ones I have seen) have all three sides
gently curved.
My design has two sides as straight as I can get them with the third side
curved (rather sharply) to meet the other two in a sharp point.
This allows the tool to get into an internal shoulder as well.
I don't know how many times I have stabbed myself on the point of this

tool
but it also lends itself for use as a scriber in a pinch.

Regards.
Ken.