Stuart Noble

Mr Fizzion wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:50:19 +0100, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

"James Amor" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm refitting a bathroom that has had serious water damage to the
plasterwork behind the tiles in the shower end of the bath (failed
grout....
years ago!). To minimise disruption to the bathroom I was thinking of
knocking off the knackered plaster (back to the brick), fixing aquapanel
onto the brickwork, and then tiling onto the aquapanel.

My problem is - I've spoken to the manufacturers of aquapanel, who are
adamant that it must be applied to batons (drylined), but they have not
explained why it can't be done any other way. This causes me a problem as
the bathroom is only 2m square, so drylining will take up precious space.

My question is - can anyone see a problem with (or had experience with)
using an adhesive and plugs/screws at 400mm centres to fix the aquapanel
straight to the brickwork? Aquapanel instructions are to fasten it at
600mm
centres, so adhesive plus smaller centres should be belt and braces
shouldn't it, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
James

Have a look at WEDI Tilebacker board. It's made of dense styrofoam with
reinforced cement surfaces, so it's much lighter and not so brittle as
Aquapanel, and it's easier to cut. More importantly, it can be fixed with
adhesive direct to bare brick or blockwork.
http://www.wedi.co.uk/flash.htm

Peter

Wedi board looks nice. However they don't appear to have any online
stockists which makes doing any kind of price comparisons very
difficult. They also don't answer the phone...some companies seem to
want to make things awkward :-(

Mr F.

I've stuck Aquapanel to brickwork in a kitchen. I used PVA cement mortar
as an adhesive with no fixings, and it worked fine, but the 4 x 4s were
standing on the ground. I would probably use fixings for anything above
that. Heavy stuff.
The styrofoam stuff sounds a better bet though. I'll check that out myself.