Quddus

Default SDS drill for general DIY?

(Kooky45) wrote in message . com...
Mike Clarke wrote in message ...
In article , N.
Thornton wrote:

I expect to get an SDS, most likely from scerwfix or toolstation - big
Q is which ones have rotostop AND will not let the chisel wander round
(gradually rotate) as it hammers? Theres no info in the cats about
this. I'm after a 2kg one.

I've just bought the Makita HR2450, you can lock the chisel. Just move
the selector half way towards the hammer only setting (the white dot
just visible in the Screwfix catalogue photo), rotate the chisel to your
desired position and move the selector fully over to lock. It also has
an interlock on the mode selector to stop it jumping from one mode to
the other on it's own accord as I understand some of the cheaper models
have been known to do.

Hi Nick,

What's the Makita like with the conventional chuck on the end? Does
it feel loose until you put pressure on it? Also, is it any good for
drilling into wood?

Thanks,

Ken

I bought the Makita HR2450X based on newsgroup reccomendations as well
as personal preferences. It came with the conventional chuck adaptor
and can say that the machine is awesome!

Just to test it out I used a 35mm frostner bit and it went clean
through the 3" wood I was massacring Youre right about the slight
play in the chuck as with all sds bits it has that slight give but
once youre in about 1/4-1/2" this is no longer a problem as the
pressure and walls of the hole keep it from wandering. I can only
imagine that with auger bits it will be even better and much smoother.
By comparison the 18v cordless Makita went through the wood also with
apparent ease (slightly less) but the SDS won just on the basis of
much higher torque. Speed did not seem to play that big a part as
with big holes you really need the torque which I assume will drop
once you set the metabo on the higer speed setting.

The speed is definitely not an issue with smaller bits i.e. anything
less than 15mm bit in wood. Also for making holes (with hole saws) in
wood, chipboard, mdf etc this drill is more than up to the job.

However, one very crucial point to note is that often with these types
of holes it relates to waste pipes in kitchens etc and the size of the
drill needs to be considered. Often you will find that in those
situations youre better off with a small but powerful cordless or
mains drill. Just on this reason alone I would opt for two drills. An
SDS and a cordless.

By the way do you have a cordless drill driver already? As there is no
way the SDS would be suited for anything other than coach bolts IMHO.
You definitely need a cordless driver with torque control (if you dont
have one) as I would not even consider manual screwing anymore (did I
just say that?!!) and the SDS is just too big for such jobs.

The HR2450 comes in three flavours:

1 HR2450 - no conventional chuck adapter included £116
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...hisel%20Drills

2 HR2450X - With keyless Conventional chuck adapter £116
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...hisel%20Drills

3 HR2450T - With interchangeable chuck from SDS+ to keyless
conventional @ £185
http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/982/shopscr2172.html

IMO the extra £70 for a fancy chuck system does not seem worth it. The
keyless adapter works just fine unless you are overly concerned about
the bit moving around.

ON the Lawson website the metabo range is also there but not sure
which one you want but £280 for the UHE38 !! If I were you I'd buy the
Hr2450X (with keyless adapter) and a cordless 12v as a screwdriver for
general drilling and driving. Both will be top quality and give you
greater flexibility AND still have £60 left over for all the new SDS
bits you could want.

Save the SDS beast for brick ,concrete Chiselling, Chanelling etc.

The Makita comes with 3m of thick cable in an excellent case with
storage for enough of the sds bits that you may need.

Intake vent holes on the side and on top (not sure if that is the same
for the Dewalt) which may prevent accidents previously debated. ;-)

Hope this helps.