Christopher Tidy

~Roy wrote:
The way my luck runs, I would no sooner cut that shaft off and find a
better motor for a RPC and then have a need for that motor.......Thats
what happened when I originally made my first 3 h p RPC. I then made a
5 h p model and had a need for a 3 h p, but I had cut the shaft
off.......I would simply attach a guard or duct tape a tin can over
the end and leave it on the motor.

Just what I was thinking, Roy. I have a few motors which have each been
used for several projects over the course of time. 99.9999999% of
projects require the motor to have a shaft :-). And when I haven't used
a motor for a while I'll end up giving it away or selling it on eBay. I
have too many right now...

As an aside, I came across a company selling phase convertors in the UK
recently. They use a powder coated metal enclosure to house the
capacitors, contactors etc., and mount the motor on top. Their motors
didn't have a guard over the shaft and had a key left in the keyway. I'm
surprised that this meets safety regulations.

Chris