Gunner

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:01:22 GMT, Ignoramus15937
wrote:

Comments will be appreciated, as always. Got 1 gauge welding cable
last night and played with the welder for 5 minutes today. To my
pleasant surprise, I can weld in the garage, it does not stink all
that much.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Welding/02-Second-Weld/

This is my second butt weld. Two 1/8x1.25" flat pieces were placed
next to one another lengthwise. I set amperage to 80 amps, according
to Wayne. I used 6013 1/8" electrodes.

To weld them, I first tack welded them in two places, about 1/2" from
each end. Then I ran one bead on one side and then, one bead on
another. This operation consumed the remaining 2/3 of that electrode
(first 1/3 was used for the first weld).

You see the weld with slag removed, from both sides. I then used a
chop saw to cut the joined pieces to see what's happening in the
weld. To my surprise, the weld looked like it was original metal, no
sign of any dissimilarity or boundary.

(Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge)

Son....you made some decent welds. Congratulations!

Your arc length varied considerably..as did your speed of travel..but
you indeed got the idea.

Now do as I suggested, and weld a bead alongside this bead. Then
another and another and so forth, until the plate is covered with
beads. Use the basics about arc length and speed to show you what is
going on with each technique. Lift the arc a bit for the first bead.
Stick the arc in the puddle for the next bead, and compare them..weld
fast, weld slow..compare. etc etc

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner