Cliff wrote:

Is the AC on or off?
That can be almost 5 MPG.

I am sure he was definately running the Air when he turned those
numbers because as you know all too well, Global Warming is so darn hot
you would risk heat exhaustion without it.

I disagree with the 5Mpg difference on any recent vehicle.
Older vehicles used to just about croak when the pump kicked in if the
"up idle" device was not functioning. Recent vehicles don't seem to
take such a "dive" because they are smaller.

You might want to consider selling your '64 Plymouth Valiant and move
up to something more efficient to back up your proclaimed "Green-ness"

All that said, my Monte always turns 30 (open road), and I don't recall
ever getting 35, but I always have the air on in the summer. I doubt it
will turn 35 at least routinely.....

Lots of variables.

Sure. Some of those could be made a whole lot better though to minimize
the effect.

One, put a switch on the dash to control whether the cruise control
should gas it for every hill and let off for every downhill or not. A
"Throttle LOCK" of sorts will turn better mileage in most cases.

Next, some AC pumps run continuously, others kick in and out. Kick in
and out makes more sense to me, but it seems few new cars do that.
Regarding that, a vacuum switch should come from the factory to kick
out the AC pump on harder acceleration. It should even be adjustable by
the owner.

Last, Cars should come with a digital throttle position display. You
well know that you can just barely press the accelerator down, hold it
there, and you will be going faster than you imagined. We ALL seem to
overfeed in order to get up to speed.

When your not in the way of anyone, an "indicator" of sorts would let
you press down just what it takes to go, say, 55mph on flat and level
ground. Doing so will eventually get you there.

Now for those that did't believe what I said I get with my Astro, I do
practice a wierd hobby whenever no one is behind me. My Van seems to
Roll like crazy on its own, so, I routinely try to guess how soon to
get off the gas and still get to an upcoming turn...

I know, wierd, but it is amazing how far you actually can get when you
let off the gas. Of course when you "run out of gas", you never seem to
coast far enough.

Grummy