Tim Daneliuk

lgb wrote:

3) Handwaving Philosophy Mode

a) The fact that the Universe exists implies that something (or someone)
brought it into existence. Something that exists does not spring into being
spontaneously out of nothing - at least we have no example of such
phenomena.

Agreed that this is philosophy. But there is no proof one way or the other. That's why
I say the only rational answer is "I don't know."

Just a fine point: There is no "proof" in Science either. Science at best
can only propose more and more likely explanations for observed
phenomena. "Proof" is an idea pretty much limited to formal mathematical
logic, and then only because of the way axiom-based systems work.

At the end of the day, the acquistion of knowledge - by whatever means -
is governed by what you *assume a priori* to be a valid starting point.
That is, the axioms (presuppositions) upon which your system of
knowledge are built are never "proovable". In strictly philosophical
terms, there is no a prioi reason to prefer empiricism over navel gazing
as a source of knowledge - though there are certainly utilitarian
arguments to be made here.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/