Scott wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

If he has had a drink he certainly deserves it.

You all better get used to a Republican President. I predict we will
have one for at least the next 12 years and if you libs don't like it I
suggest you move to Canada.

So, who do you think will be the Republic candidate for President
in 2008?

Who on the Dem side could handle what's going
on today, Al Gore (what a big dumb Ox he is), Kerry ( the phony one),
Hillary (what a joke), Biden (the phony big mouth)? Name one person on the
Democrat side that the masses would support.

Biden looks promising. But let's keep in mind that in 1998, pretty
much nobody had heard of GW Bush outside of Texas, in 1990 pretty
much nobody outside of Arkansas had heard of BJ Clinton, in
1974 pretty much nobody outside of Georgia had heard of Jimmy
Carter.

You'd be hard pressed to find
one. Tell the truth who would you suggest that has any class. That party is
not the party I grew up with when they were for the working person. There
are no more Sam Nunn's left in that party.

There sure as hell isn't a long list of Republic politicians with
class either. The only one I can think of is McCain and unless
Pat Robertson dies real soon now McCain won't get enough support
from the Republics to beat Dennis Kucinich (whom I would much
rather have as President than Bush, sober or not).

--

FF

lgb wrote: ...

P.S. Any time you'd like to jar your intelligent design belief, get a good book on the
Burgess shale fossils :-).

A sobering view, is that?

--

FF

Tim Daneliuk

Charlie Self wrote:

The person who believes mankind is the result of "intelligent design",
or that the earth in general is, needs to take a better look at both
mankind and the world. Both are plenty screwed up, in ways that almost
any kind of sentience could have avoided.

(In the material below, I am not particularly arguing that Intelligent
Design is correct - I don't know it well enough to have a clear position
on the matter. What I *am* arguing is that dismissing ID as
"anti-Scientific" is both naive and reflects a lack of understanding of
both the limits to what Science can ever know, and even moreso, a
misunderstanding of what ID claims. This is based on some cursory
reading of the IDer stuff and may well be wrong or dated in some
areas. But as a general matter, I think my overall impression of
ID is correct.)

But First, A Thought Experiment
-------------------------------

1) Assume that our senses and minds are reasonably reliable - that the science
we know today is more-or-less correct but subject to improvement.
More succinctly: We can know thing about our Universe.

2) Because of 1) we can observe two important things:

a) The Universe is bounded (in size, volume, content ...) The total
energy and matter in the universe is fixed - merely being exchanged
one for another - thank you Albert Einstein.

b) The Universe had a beginning (aka The Big Bang)

i.e., The Universe exists in a *finite* form. It is neither unbounded in size
nor unbounded in duration, nor unbounded in mass, nor unbounded in
energy.

3) Handwaving Philosophy Mode

a) The fact that the Universe exists implies that something (or someone)
brought it into existence. Something that exists does not spring into being
spontaneously out of nothing - at least we have no example of such
phenomena. That is, the (finite) matter and energy that populated the
Universe at the time of its birth did not just magically appear.

If you don't buy this premise, then the burden (philosophically)
lies upon you to demonstrate how something is produced spontaneously
from nothing. Well ... maybe not "demonstrate", but at least
suggest some reasonable model for how Something From Nothing
might work. Every single evidence we have today strongly
argues that Something always comes from Somewhere, not from some
magical puff of smoke.

b) Assume that the something/someone that made our Universe come into
existence it itself bounded somehow, but it merely lives outside or
above the physics that govern *our* Universe. Now apply the observation 3a)
to that thing/person that made our Universe spring into being.
That is, the fact that there is a thing/person that made our Universe
come to be, suggests that it itself has a thing/person that
made *it* come to be.

c) By the recursive application of 3b) upon 3a) we reach an *inductive*
conclusion:

The fact that *anything* exists (or appears to anyway)
suggests only a few explanations:

i) There is an ultimate authorship that transcends time, space,
matter and energy - indeed all the physics we understand.
That is, we reach (via induction) the conclusion that if
*anything* exists, it suggests a (logically) single
point of authorship that is itself "eternal" - it exists outside
the limitations of time, space, and physics.

ia) One variation of i) is that the recursion of authorship
is itself infinite. But this has the problem that it cannot
explain how the whole business got started.

ii) The Universe itself transcends time, space, and all the
rest. This is refuted pretty thoroughly by all
contemporary physics and cosmology.

iii) Nothing actually exists at all, it's all an illusion.

/Handwaving Philosophy Mode

The central fallacy of those who would juxtapose Intelligent Design
and Science is that they attempt to address rather different questions.
Yes, the ID people are trying to "inflitrate" the world of Science,
but that's because they believe they have a Scientific case to make -
read on.

Science - even if we had *perfect* science - at best can only address
questions of *how* and only for observations about things that have
occured since the beginning of the Universe.

Intelligent Design and other "authorship" theories attempt to grapple
with the questions of *from where*, *by whom* (if any), and, possibly,
*why*. As the handwaving logical induction above suggests, these are not
questions that science will *ever* be competent to answer, *but there is
an inductive suggestion as to what an answer would look like - at least
qualitatively*.

One can take several positions here. You might say, "How, From Where,
and Why are unimportant questions and thus not worthy of further
examination." But a lot of us, who are both trained in mathematics, the
sciences, and are otherwise thoughtful, rational people think these
questions are incredibly important and interesting. More to the
point, we're not satisfied with the limitations of what we can
know through Science alone. Even more to the point, the IDers
have an intriguing suggestion - that Science itself is broken
at the moment.

At its core, Intelligent Design is a *philosophical* critique of the
theory of knowledge that is deeply embedded in today's scientific
orthodoxy. More specifically, ID argues that the reductionist models of
contemporary Science are inadequate to *fully* account for what we
observe. They are not saying that Science is inferior to Faith (I don't
think, even though many IDers probably believe this). They are not
saying that all current Science is wrong. They are not suggesting we
discard Science as a means of understanding our Universe. They are
saying that Science, in its current incarnation, has an inadequate
system of knowledge to fully explain what we observe. (By "fully
explain", I mean "in principle", whether or not we ever actually get
around to doing so.) More specifically, they are saying that a core
modeling *method* of Science (reductionism) is the point of inadequacy.

Sidenote: This is hardly a new thing in the world of Science.
Every major breakthrough in Science has had the property
of decimating some Scientific sacred cow that preceded it.
Claiming (and demonstrating) you have a better model
is not "anti-Scientific", is is the essence of how
Science progresses.

In order to make this claim, ID proponents are offering what they
believe to be *Scientific* (not religious, not philosophical) arguments
as to why today's Scientific theory of knowlege is broken. (I note that
they also do have religious and philosophical arguments, but that's not
primarily where they've engaged the debate so far.)

Now, these Scientific claims of the IDers might be right, wrong, or not
yet testable. But, here's where it gets interesting:

If the ID people are bozos, and their "Science" is bogus, then why
doesn't the mainstream Science community offer them a chance to make
their case in peer reviewed journals and refute them trivially? (This
mostly has not happened AFAIK.) What we see instead are ad hominem
attacks on the IDers as they are dimissed as "religious nuts",
"mystics", and all the rest. In other words, if it's so dumb, it should
be trivial to decimate in open court.

The reason for this, of course, is that Science itself has an
Establishment that resists change. The idea that there *might* be a hole
in the boat of the theory of knowledge that drives Science is terrifying
to an awful lot of mainstream scientists - at least that's what it looks
like to me. Otherwise, they'd be happy to engage the IDers, disprove
their claims, and merrily go on their way.

There's no question that the majority of IDers are people of deep
religious faith. But this, in and of itself, is not grounds to
dismiss their claims of *Science*. (Bear in mind, that a good many
of the leading lights of ID are legitimate Scientists in their own
right.) They are arguing that today's reductionist models are
not good enough to discover everything we can know about the
Universe. Why not let them try and make the case.

In any case, whether the IDers are right or wrong, one thing is clear.
If you think about it a while, I believe you'll be led to the same
conclusion I've come to: If anything actually exists, it had to
have a starting point that is not governed by time, space, or any
of the physics known to us. Is it so utterly unreasonable to
suggest that such a starting point is itself ... "intelligent"?
Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Charlie Self

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
"Charlie Self" wrote:

Leon isn't arrogant enough to think that he knows which way to learn is
best. I'm not arrogant enough to believe that God is made in my
image--or me, in his. Nor am I arrogant enough to think I know God's
will.

...and I'm not arrogant enough to question anyone's faith.

I don't quesiton anyone's faith if they keep it to themselves. When it
gets stuck in my face, I feel it's open to questions.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

As soon as a claim is made about an unobserved event, we've left the
realm of perfect science and entered the realm of faith - where it's
permissible to treat hypothesis as fact. Deductive and inductive logic
are useful tools; but they're simply the bridges between that which
has been observed and that which has not.

Have you been ttouched by his noodly appendage?
http://www.venganza.org/

Pirates are cool!

Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't quesiton anyone's faith if they keep it to themselves. When it
gets stuck in my face, I feel it's open to questions.

Agreed, that is why I replied on the comment,

The person who believes mankind is the result of "intelligent design",
or that the earth in general is, needs to take a better look at both
mankind and the world.

Intelligent design does refer to there being an intelligent creator, most
relate this to religion or faith, vs. the other theory where every thing
evolved by chance from a rock.

I interpreted your observation of the shape that mankind is in as being not
supportive of intelligent design.

Morris Dovey

Dave Balderstone (in
. ca) said:

| Have you been ttouched by his noodly appendage?
| http://www.venganza.org/
|
| Pirates are cool!

I generally avoid others' noodly appendages.

And here I'd thought everything was up-to-date in Kansas City (They've
gone about as f'r as they can go!)

Pirates are probably under-appreciated on the Great Plains. Now if
Windwagon Smith were to hoist the jolly roger...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Steve Peterson

See http://www.cjr.org/issues/2005/5/mooney.asp and http://www.ncseweb.org/
for some information on evolution and "Intelligent Design." ID is at best a
pseudoscientific attempt to undercut teaching of evolution. It is big on
public relations and press coverage, but basically void of the key to the
scientific method, i.e. making testable predictions.

read the sites if you need actual information to counter such assertions as
"teach the controversy."

Steven Peterson, Ph.D.
Steve #564 on the Steve's List

"Tim Daneliuk" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

Charlie Self

Leon wrote:

I interpreted your observation of the shape that mankind is in as being not
supportive of intelligent design.

You got it in one.

Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ups.com...

Leon wrote:

I interpreted your observation of the shape that mankind is in as being
not
supportive of intelligent design.

You got it in one.

Changing the subject.. LOL Are you still working on or thinking about doing
a Bird House Book. I am really looking forward to it.

Leon

"John Emmons" wrote in message
That's because Buddhism is not a religion. Never has been and never will
be
unless people continue to "worship" the Dalai Lama. Who,unlike the Pope
realises that he's only a man, not God's voice on Earth.

John Emmons

Exactly... the Pope is simply another elected official.

lgb

In article , says...
1) Assume that our senses and minds are reasonably reliable - that the science
we know today is more-or-less correct but subject to improvement.
More succinctly: We can know thing about our Universe.

Actually, science often confounds our senses. Do your senses tell you that your body is
almost all empty space? And my senses would never have come up with Schrodinger's (sp?)
cat :-). But I'll agree that our intelligence, such as it is, does allow us to find out
things by experimental testing of hypotheses.

2) Because of 1) we can observe two important things:

a) The Universe is bounded (in size, volume, content ...) The total
energy and matter in the universe is fixed - merely being exchanged
one for another - thank you Albert Einstein.

Well, yes, but the theory of an infinite number of alternative parallel universes is
gaining support. See the recent (last 12 months?) article in Scientific American.

3) Handwaving Philosophy Mode

a) The fact that the Universe exists implies that something (or someone)
brought it into existence. Something that exists does not spring into being
spontaneously out of nothing - at least we have no example of such
phenomena.

Agreed that this is philosophy. But there is no proof one way or the other. That's why
I say the only rational answer is "I don't know."

BTW, intelligent design does claim that something came from nothing - a god. "It's
turtles, all the way down."

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever
Cyrille de Brébisson

hello,

3) Handwaving Philosophy Mode

a) The fact that the Universe exists implies that something (or
someone)
brought it into existence. Something that exists does not spring
into being
spontaneously out of nothing - at least we have no example of such
phenomena.

Agreed that this is philosophy. But there is no proof one way or the
other. That's why
I say the only rational answer is "I don't know."

Actually, this is not true, particles/antiparticles pairs pop out in
existance out of nothing all the time. Granted, they tend to re-anhihilate
one another straight away (except when they apear on the boundary of a black
hole event horizon, stephen haukins (sp)), but this is a well kown example
of stuff being created out of nothing...

personally, I find it easier to think about atomes being created out of
nothing than a god, buth then....

cyrille

Robatoy

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Our 4-D universe may be an isolated singularity in a 0-D non-causitive
nowhere :-

You are not stringing us along now are you?
How about..mmm lemme see... one dimension (time) and..ohhh, what-the-heck nine
more dimensions? You know, something an average p-brane would understand?

WAIT!! I have said too much!

Why do some people find it difficult to understand that if a 'who' designed the
whole universe in 7 days, that same 'who' couldn't have tossed in a few
billion-year-plus old rocks just for fun? I find the face of an ostrich
hilarious enough to think that some sense of humour is at play here.
Those seashell fossils on Mt Everest are a nice touch as well.
I got it.. smack some tectonic plates together on Tuesday, sweep-up and cover
with snow on Wednesday.
I think the creationist and evolutionary views coexist nicely. One just has to
loosen up the parameters a little i.e. a day = 24000 hours? Maybe more?
Sorry if it doesn't fit the rigid interpretations of really old transcripts all
covered in monk-drool.
The biggest problem we have is that we're trying to understand things without
the required tools to do so.

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
Robatoy wrote:

The biggest problem we have is that we're trying to understand things without
the required tools to do so.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and
inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-- Douglas Adams, HHGTTG

djb

John Emmons wrote:
That's because Buddhism is not a religion...

I daresay that is highly subjective. People who are in precise
agreement as to what constitutes Buddism may readily disagree on
whether or not it is a religion depending on how they they define
'religion'.

--

FF

charlie b

If the scientific method is taught in religion and philosophy
classes and applied in class, maybe then "intelligent design"
might be discussed in science classes.

The old adage, never argue religion or politics with a
friend is true. And never mix religion and politics
is also true.

"By their deeds so shall you know them." wasn't talking
about religious zealots, Muslim or Christian. If you
encounter a good, decent, caring, content person living a life
worth emulating - so shall you know them - and maybe
even try and be like them.

charlie b

now if only we'd apply "what you do to the least of
mine, you do to me" more often
Tim Daneliuk

lgb wrote:

3) Handwaving Philosophy Mode

a) The fact that the Universe exists implies that something (or someone)
brought it into existence. Something that exists does not spring into being
spontaneously out of nothing - at least we have no example of such
phenomena.

Agreed that this is philosophy. But there is no proof one way or the other. That's why
I say the only rational answer is "I don't know."

Just a fine point: There is no "proof" in Science either. Science at best
can only propose more and more likely explanations for observed
phenomena. "Proof" is an idea pretty much limited to formal mathematical
logic, and then only because of the way axiom-based systems work.

At the end of the day, the acquistion of knowledge - by whatever means -
is governed by what you *assume a priori* to be a valid starting point.
That is, the axioms (presuppositions) upon which your system of
knowledge are built are never "proovable". In strictly philosophical
terms, there is no a prioi reason to prefer empiricism over navel gazing
as a source of knowledge - though there are certainly utilitarian
arguments to be made here.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Tim Daneliuk

Jois wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
news
Tim Daneliuk (in ) said:

| Science - even if we had *perfect* science - at best can only
| address
| questions of *how* and only for observations about things that have
| occured since the beginning of the Universe.

No need to look back to the beginning of the Universe, talk to a pregnant
woman, take a look at how foetus develops, get a video of labor and delivery
and then we can really talk about Intelligent Design.

You should find a better group for this discussion. And for goodness sake,
read up on what science is and what science is not before you join another
group.

Josie

I am well aware of the methods, claims, and philosophy of science.
No need to condescend. Your tone is emblematic of the baked in
arrogance of today's Science Establishment. Anyone who questions
your orthodoxy is sneered upon. From Tycho Brache onward,
there have always been the "wise men" of each generation to refused
to accept the possibility they were wrong about something. It
took singularities of thought from Galileo, Newton, Einstein,
and all the rest to kick Science to the next level. I have no
problem with the current state of Scientific theory - it coexists
nicely with- or without Intelligent Creation. I do have a problem
with the *religious* fervor some in the Science community exhibit
when protecting their turf.

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Tim Daneliuk

Morris Dovey wrote:

Tim Daneliuk (in ) said:

| Science - even if we had *perfect* science - at best can only
| address
| questions of *how* and only for observations about things that have
| occured since the beginning of the Universe.

Hmm. You might want to think about this some more. "Perfect" science
can only deal with observations about things that have occurred during
the course of the observations. Any conclusions about unobserved
prior, unobserved concurrent, or subsequent events are at most
hypotheses.

You miss my point. Even if a "perfect" Science existed, it
would be (as far was we now know) blind to anything before
the birth of the Universe. Moreover, *all* Science is hypothesis -
some more likely/testable than others. There is ultimately
no "proof" in Science at all.

As soon as a claim is made about an unobserved event, we've left the
realm of perfect science and entered the realm of faith - where it's

Uh, no .... Cosmologists draw inferences all the time about
events that they could not possibly observe - and make claims
about said events. This is consistent with the rules by which
Science operates. It is "faith" only in the sense that *all*
knowledge systems - Scientific or not - operate from some set
of unprovable starting points.

permissible to treat hypothesis as fact. Deductive and inductive logic
are useful tools; but they're simply the bridges between that which
has been observed and that which has not.

--
Morris Dovey
Our 4-D universe may be an isolated singularity in a 0-D non-causitive
nowhere :-)

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Tim Daneliuk

Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

[...]

Bear in mind that there is a difference between someone who affirms
intelligent creation and someone who insists on a literal reading of the
Genesis account. You can be the former and not insist on the latter.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Tim Daneliuk

Steve Peterson wrote:

See http://www.cjr.org/issues/2005/5/mooney.asp and http://www.ncseweb.org/
for some information on evolution and "Intelligent Design." ID is at best a
pseudoscientific attempt to undercut teaching of evolution. It is big on

That may be true. Just bear in mind that postulating intelligent
design/creation is *not* the same argument as demanding a literal
reading of the Genesis account.

public relations and press coverage, but basically void of the key to the
scientific method, i.e. making testable predictions.

Then why is the Science community so terrified to led ID have it's day
in court (journals, conferences, etc.) and *refute* it? So far,
most of what I've found is members of the Science Establishment
taking ad hominem pot shots, not actually refuting the IDer methods
or claims.

Leon wrote:
"John Emmons" wrote in message
That's because Buddhism is not a religion. Never has been and never will
be
unless people continue to "worship" the Dalai Lama. Who,unlike the Pope
realises that he's only a man, not God's voice on Earth.

John Emmons

Exactly... the Pope is simply another elected official.

Although he is elected by people who were appointed by
previous Popes.

--

FF

Robatoy

In article .com,
wrote:

Biden looks promising.

Will Neil Kinnock be his speech writer? G

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Then why is the Science community so terrified to led ID have it's day
in court (journals, conferences, etc.) and *refute* it? ...

Courts per se are not proper adjudicators of scientific theory.

IRT journals, conferences etc, they are typically specific to
certain specializations in particular fields. To accept
a theology-based (of any flavor or brand) paper into a zoology
journal would be like discussing evolution in a woodworking
newsgroup. It would be off-topic.

Accepting of-topic papers into a journal or at a conference not
only dilutes the material being presented and utilizes resources
that were ostensibly budgeted for the specialty in question but
it also threatens to disrupt an otherwise scholarly and cooperative
atmosphere.

You seldom see authors calling each other names, insulting their
integrity or questioning their motives when they disagree over
what glue to use on patio furniture. How does that compare to
Off-Topic threads?

When a notion is rejected outright by mainsteam science
it is almost always because it is unmitigated crap in the
scientific sense, regardless of what social/political or
religious value it may have. Scientists are not terrified
at the prospect of someone flinging crap at them from a
podium so much as they are disgusted.

--

FF

Tim Daneliuk

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Then why is the Science community so terrified to led ID have it's day
in court (journals, conferences, etc.) and *refute* it? ...

Courts per se are not proper adjudicators of scientific theory.

IRT journals, conferences etc, they are typically specific to
certain specializations in particular fields. To accept
a theology-based (of any flavor or brand) paper into a zoology
journal would be like discussing evolution in a woodworking
newsgroup. It would be off-topic.

This argument is a red-herring. Science has a philosophy
of knowledge. That philosophy of knowledge is being questioned.
It is not a 'theology based' attack (at least not exclusively).
The attackers claim they have the ability to describe the
problems with today's scientific system and propose to do so
using *science* (not theology). They should be heard, and then
refuted or not.

Accepting of-topic papers into a journal or at a conference not
only dilutes the material being presented and utilizes resources
that were ostensibly budgeted for the specialty in question but
it also threatens to disrupt an otherwise scholarly and cooperative
atmosphere.

The IDers have made proposals that are specific within sub-branches
of science. Those narrow proposals should be evaluated within
their respective disciplines.

You seldom see authors calling each other names, insulting their
integrity or questioning their motives when they disagree over
what glue to use on patio furniture. How does that compare to
Off-Topic threads?

You should read more history of Science. There has been *plenty* of name
calling, ad hominem attacks, questioning the virtue, honor, method, and
competence of one group of scientists by another. There is a whole lot
of "Jane You Ignorant Slut" level of diatribe within the Scientific
community from time to time. Come to think of it, it's kind of how I see
them treating the IDers. Again, I am not defending ID, I am defending
the idea that they ought to be *heard* and evaluated openly and fairly
for their Scientific claims.

When a notion is rejected outright by mainsteam science
it is almost always because it is unmitigated crap in the
scientific sense, regardless of what social/political or
religious value it may have. Scientists are not terrified
at the prospect of someone flinging crap at them from a
podium so much as they are disgusted.

Nonsense. Most new Scientific theories go through a period of
outright rejection by the Science Establishment. "Mainstream Science"
rejects things because it has a vested interest (funding, prestige)
in the status quo. So much so that there is a well-worn saying
in the community that "Funeral by funeral, Science progresses."

The IDers may be dead wrong, *but they should be heard.* I am
trained in the Sciences, though my personal specialty is
more in mathematics. I am troubled by a discipline that claims
to arrive at knowledge by "objective means" and then scurries to
circle the wagons the first time an outsider shows up with
an idea that is fundamentally different than the current orthdoxy.

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Tim Daneliuk

charlie b wrote:

If the scientific method is taught in religion and philosophy
classes and applied in class, maybe then "intelligent design"
might be discussed in science classes.

It *is* taught in religion and philosophy classes. Logic is formally a
part of Philosophy, not Mathematics. The Scientific Method is a
discipline rooted in logic and philosophical empiricism (also taught in
religion and philosophy classes). I say this having been educated in one
secular state university, one 'fundamentalist' private college, and
another Catholic private college. The theory of how science acquires
knowlege is of considerable interest to theologians and philosophers ...
at least the ones who taught me.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Tim Daneliuk

Leon wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't quesiton anyone's faith if they keep it to themselves. When it
gets stuck in my face, I feel it's open to questions.

Agreed, that is why I replied on the comment,

The person who believes mankind is the result of "intelligent design",
or that the earth in general is, needs to take a better look at both
mankind and the world.

Intelligent design does refer to there being an intelligent creator, most
relate this to religion or faith, vs. the other theory where every thing
evolved by chance from a rock.

This is not exactly right. *Some* Intelligent Design theories are proposed
as an alternative to Evolutionary Theory. There are however other
"intelligent design" theories (aka "authorship theories") that posit the
existence of an intelligent creator that operated *by means of evolution*.
You have to be careful to separate the discussion of "Who/What Made It
Come To Be?" (Who) from "What Are The Mechanisms By Which Things
Came To Be?" (How).

I interpreted your observation of the shape that mankind is in as being not
supportive of intelligent design.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
charlie b

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

charlie b wrote:

If the scientific method is taught in religion and philosophy
classes and applied in class, maybe then "intelligent design"
might be discussed in science classes.

It *is* taught in religion and philosophy classes. Logic is formally a
part of Philosophy, not Mathematics. The Scientific Method is a
discipline rooted in logic and philosophical empiricism (also taught in
religion and philosophy classes). I say this having been educated in one
secular state university, one 'fundamentalist' private college, and
another Catholic private college. The theory of how science acquires
knowlege is of considerable interest to theologians and philosophers ...
at least the ones who taught me.

I'm betting you were taught by Jesuits right?

One of the arguements the ID folks present is
"this organism is extremely complex, too complex
to merely just happen by accident. therefore
it had to be designed by some intelligent entity".
They overlook the billions of years of trial and
error that went into how that complexity developed.
If there was intelligent designer there wouldn't
be a need for multiple iterations of a design to
meet a specific environment/set of conditions.

But even with 5 billion years of R&D, we
(males) still don't have hair that'll last
a lifetime , at least not me.

charlie b

Tim Daneliuk

charlie b wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

charlie b wrote:

If the scientific method is taught in religion and philosophy
classes and applied in class, maybe then "intelligent design"
might be discussed in science classes.

It *is* taught in religion and philosophy classes. Logic is formally a
part of Philosophy, not Mathematics. The Scientific Method is a
discipline rooted in logic and philosophical empiricism (also taught in
religion and philosophy classes). I say this having been educated in one
secular state university, one 'fundamentalist' private college, and
another Catholic private college. The theory of how science acquires
knowlege is of considerable interest to theologians and philosophers ...
at least the ones who taught me.

I'm betting you were taught by Jesuits right?

No. I am not Catholic nor do I have much patience
for the RC church on lots of different levels
(social, philosophical, political ...)

One of the arguements the ID folks present is
"this organism is extremely complex, too complex
to merely just happen by accident. therefore
it had to be designed by some intelligent entity".

That is their *conclusion*, but they claim they
have a Scientific case to make to support that
conclusion. We may well never know, because
the Science Establishment today it putting huge
resistance up (dare I say, with "religious" fervor)
to avoid having this debate.

They overlook the billions of years of trial and
error that went into how that complexity developed.
If there was intelligent designer there wouldn't
be a need for multiple iterations of a design to
meet a specific environment/set of conditions.

You don't know that. It is entirely possible that
an intelligent designer incorporated evolutionary
processes into the development of the Universe.
It is possible that multiple iterations were
"created" to make the resulting system "adaptive"
so that best design wins - a sort of genetic
algorithm approach.

Even more importantly, there is still some
fair debate to be had about just how many
"iterations" there really were. Evolutionary
theory is still open to a lot of interesting
criticism even without ID or authorship ideas.
That is, criticism within the framework of today's
Science.

For example, evolution *within* a particular species,
over time, is demonstrable. But evolution from
less complex lifeforms to more complex lifeforms
is still undemonstrated. These upward jumps in
biocomplexity are *inferred* from observation, not
demonstrated by direct experiment. If they
were, the discussion about Evolution would
truly be over. IOW, all the Science Establishment
has to do to shut up the IDers is to show
(experimentally) an primordial soup becoming
a reptile which, in turn, evolves into, say,
Ted Kennedy.

But even with 5 billion years of R&D, we
(males) still don't have hair that'll last
a lifetime , at least not me.

That's because we modern humans have the bad
manners to live long beyond the duration needed
to reproduce. A truly counter-evolutionary
behavior.

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Then why is the Science community so terrified to led ID have it's day
in court (journals, conferences, etc.) and *refute* it? ...

Courts per se are not proper adjudicators of scientific theory.

IRT journals, conferences etc, they are typically specific to
certain specializations in particular fields. To accept
a theology-based (of any flavor or brand) paper into a zoology
journal would be like discussing evolution in a woodworking
newsgroup. It would be off-topic.

This argument is a red-herring.

No, it is spot on.

Science has a philosophy
of knowledge. That philosophy of knowledge is being questioned.
It is not a 'theology based' attack (at least not exclusively).
The attackers claim they have the ability to describe the
problems with today's scientific system and propose to do so
using *science* (not theology). They should be heard, and then
refuted or not.

"Intelligent Design" unless it is very ill-considered misnomer,
relies on the presumption of a divine being. That is the realm
of religion, not science.

A claim to be able to demonstrate intelligent design
scientifically, without theology is obvious double speak.

Accepting off-topic papers into a journal or at a conference not
only dilutes the material being presented and utilizes resources
that were ostensibly budgeted for the specialty in question but
it also threatens to disrupt an otherwise scholarly and cooperative
atmosphere.

The IDers have made proposals that are specific within sub-branches
of science. Those narrow proposals should be evaluated within
their respective disciplines.

Do you suppose the the people working in those fields as editors
etc are of the opinion that 'ID' fundamentally lies outside of
their specific sub-branches of science?

I can certainly come up with an intelligent design theory
to explain physical phenomena, but I do not have the gall
to expect _Physics Today_ to publish it.

Science has always observed aboundant phenomena that COULD be
explained by invoking some sort of intelligence making a choice,
for example between which molecules pass thorugh a membrane and
which do not.

You seldom see authors calling each other names, insulting their
integrity or questioning their motives when they disagree over
what glue to use on patio furniture. How does that compare to
Off-Topic threads?

You should read more history of Science. There has been *plenty* of name
calling, ad hominem attacks, questioning the virtue, honor, method, and
competence of one group of scientists by another.

Which has nothing to do with patio furniture.

There is a whole lot
of "Jane You Ignorant Slut" level of diatribe within the Scientific
community from time to time. Come to think of it, it's kind of how I see
them treating the IDers.

Which was my point.

Again, I am not defending ID, I am defending
the idea that they ought to be *heard* and evaluated openly and fairly
for their Scientific claims.

Like everyone else they have a right to express their opinions.
Also, like everyone else, they have no right to demand that anyone
in particular listen to them.

If the publishers of _Nature_ or whatever, do not want to publish
their articles or the sponsors of a conference do not want to
invite them to give their papers or have them put up posters that
is the right of those publishers or sponsors.

The 'IDers' have no right to demand that other people do any
damn thing at all for them.

No publisher or sponsoring organization has any responsibility
to let any particular fringe group appear simply in order to
satisfy your misplaced sense of fair play.

When a notion is rejected outright by mainsteam science
it is almost always because it is unmitigated crap in the
scientific sense, regardless of what social/political or
religious value it may have. Scientists are not terrified
at the prospect of someone flinging crap at them from a
podium so much as they are disgusted.

Nonsense. Most new Scientific theories go through a period of
outright rejection by the Science Establishment.

I can think of a few exmples but interestingly, nearly all
in the field of medicine and was outright rejected, not
by scientists, but by physicians. Ask any scientist in
any branch of biology that ever contributes to medical
knowledge and he or she will assure you that doctors are
not scientists.

There are also examples of scientists rejecting the notion
that certain engineering goals could be achieved, like
building a hydrogen bomb. But those are disagreements as
to practical applicability.

The law of conservation of energy and in particular the
concept of entropy were controversial but I'd have to look
into it further beofor concluding that they were 'outright
rejected'.

So how about some examples of scientific theories, outright
rejected at first, which were ultimately accepted?

Most new scientific theories that are eventually accepted,
and indeed, many that are unltimately rejected, are immediately
accepted as _scientifically viable_ from the outset.

Examples include the evolutionary theories of Lamarck, Wallace
and Darwin, the Copernican theory of the Solar System the
Corpuscular theory of light, Special and General relativity,
the Big Bang theory, quantum theory. Not everyone in the field
accepted them from the outset but they weren't rejected as
not appropriate for publication or debate.

"Mainstream Science"
rejects things because it has a vested interest (funding, prestige)
in the status quo.
So much so that there is a well-worn saying
in the community that "Funeral by funeral, Science progresses."

So well worn *I* never heard it befor.

The IDers may be dead wrong, *but they should be heard.* I am
trained in the Sciences, though my personal specialty is
more in mathematics.

Perhaps you are familiar with the story about the debate
on the existance of God between Diederot and Euler?

I am troubled by a discipline that claims
to arrive at knowledge by "objective means" and then scurries to
circle the wagons the first time an outsider shows up with
an idea that is fundamentally different than the current orthdoxy.

'IDers' are plainly not the only people whose philosophy has
been excluded from the public schools or scientific journals.

Lots of people who claim to to have theories based on sound
science do not get published. (Well a few self-publish on
UseNet). The obvious difference between those and the 'IDers'
is that the former generally do not have well-funded and
political and religiously motivated sponsors.

But sometimes they do. Back in the early 1980's there was
an attempt to force a more Bibically literal brand of
Creationism into the scientific literature and the public
schools. They also relied on legal arguments but died
back after a few setbacks in the court system. Whereas
'Creatiionsim' and the oxymoronic 'Scientific Creationsim'
were ckommonly heard back then, there was not one peep
about 'Intelligent Design'. While it may be that the
origins of 'ID' go back befor then, it was not until
that set back for America's Taliban wannabes that "Intelligent
Design" began to get any publicity. Not, IMHO a coincidence.

The bottom line is that 'Intelligent Design' is a plain
english statement of the existance of a designer.

Some religious sects for not speak their name for the Divine
Being for religions I do not quite understand. But I do
understand why the "Intelligent Designer" do not speak
the name for their "Designer". It for the same reasons
that some other cults won't tell you that the beleive in
(non-divne) extraterestrial beings.

--

FF

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I am well aware of the methods, claims, and philosophy of science.

But evidently not the History.

No need to condescend. Your tone is emblematic of the baked in
arrogance of today's Science Establishment. Anyone who questions
your orthodoxy is sneered upon. From Tycho Brache onward,
there have always been the "wise men" of each generation to refused
to accept the possibility they were wrong about something. It
took singularities of thought from Galileo, Newton, Einstein,
and all the rest to kick Science to the next level.

There is so much that is factually wrong with that paragraph
it is hard to decide where to start. Perhaps a more or less
chronological approach will serve.

You say that those great Scientists had to "kick Science to the
next level". In fact, they met with resistance not from the
Scientific community but fron politics and religion. It is
not Science that had to be kicked, it was non-Science that
had to be kicked and it often kicked back.

Your first example, is an exception. He kicked Science and
Science resisted and won because he was WRONG.

Tycho Brahe, in the face of religious opposition to the
Copernican model came up with his own model for the solar
system, a sort of middle ground model that pleased the
religious establishment without totally abandoning recent
progress in science. IOW, Brahe was a backslider. To
conform to established religious decrees as to what constituted
truth his model had the Earth at the center of the Solar
System, with the Sun and the Moon in orbits about it, but
then incorporated the Copernican concept by having the
remaining planets orbit the Sun.

One supposes that Brahe had to express some opinion on
cosmology in order to get funding and to stay out of
prison so he did the best he could without drawing the
ire of the religious and political powers. An apt analogy
can be made to many of today's public school administrators.

A few centuries later one has to wonder if Brahe did not
construct his model as a mockery of the religious viewpoint.
If so, it appears that the clerics didn't get the joke which
probably delighted Brahe even further.

The scientific community resisted and ultimately rejected
Brahe's theory not because it was new, but because it
lacked scientific merit. Like ID, it was a contrivance
developed to incorporate what had become scientifically
undeniable into the previously established faith-based
philosphy so as to make it palatable to those who were as
poliltically powerful as they were scientifically ignorant.

OTOH, the Copernican theory, open support of which put
men in mortal danger at the hands of the religious and
political establishments, was none-the-less widely and
rapidly accepted in the scientific community because of
its scientific merit, politics notwithstanding. Copernicus
didn't need to kick anyone or anything.

(I note you didn't mention Copernicus, possibly just an oversight.)

Galileo advanced the Copernican theory through his observations
and laid the groundwork for modern physics. For this he became
the most respected scientist of his day, in the scientific
community, but was feared and loathed (e.g. "sneered at")
by the political and religious establishment which was concerned
ONLY with what they perceived to be the societal implications
of his work. The scientific merits of his work were NOT a
consideration on the part of his oppressors.

Newton, benefitted by living in a more enlighted time and country.
Newton was lauded both in the scientific community and by his
and foreign governments for his achievements. The scientific
community did NOT resist Newton's contributions because their
scientific merit was immediately clear. Newton didn't have
to kick Science, Science came clamoring to his door eager for
his work.

Einstein's story is similar to Newton's. He received his
Master's degree for the Special Theory of Relativity and
the Nobel prize for his body of work in 1905. That is
hardly 'sneering' on the part of Scientific 'orthodoxy'.

As you know, when the Nazis came to power Einstein and other
"Jewish Physicists" came under fire from politicians who
clearly had no concern for the scientific merits of their
work but found it both politically convenient to demonize
them, and easy to accomplish as their consituency had no
real understanding of or concern for the scientific merits
of their work.

Here we do have a good analog to present day politics. The
new "Jewish Physics" is Evolutionary Biology. It is under
political attack, being demonized by a marginalized political
faction (in the present case one with religous roots) for
purely politcal purposes. Like their predecessors who found
scientists or at any rate, men who called themselves scientists
to criticize "Jewish Physics" these people support those who
present a superficially scientific challenge to Evolutionary
Biology, e.g. the "intelligent design" guys.

None of the scientists you mentioned were "sneered at" by
Scientific Orthodoxy. None of them "Kicked Science" to the
next level in the sense of having to overcome some sort of
entrained philosophical resistance. Anybody sneering or
who needed to be kicked was either in the minority or a
nonscientist to begin with.

Two other scientists you did not mention are Darwin and
Lamarck.

During the later half of the nineteenth century the school
of evolutionary theories identified with Lamarck was a widely
accepted competitor with the theory of slow mutation and natural
selection advanced by Darwin and Wallace.

Ultimately, 'Lamarckism' though sustained several decades in
the Soviet Union because of its appeal to that totalitarian
government, died out largely because some of its predictions
proved to be false while predictions based on slow mutation and
natural selection proved to be true.

Later, genetic theory provided a theoretical mechanism by which
the inheritance of the new traits could occur, something both
theories had lacked, and later still the discovery of chromosones
and ultimately a physical, molecular basis for genes, provided
a reproducible physical basis for understanding both inheritance
and mutation.

Together those pretty much put the evolutionary theory advanced
by Darwin and Wallace on a firm material base.

There was considerable reason to be skeptical of evolutionary
theories that relied on mutation and inheritance before
underlying mechnisms for those phenomena were discovered.
Now the shoe is on the other foot. To argue against mutation
(micro or macro) and natural selection one must come up
with a reasonable hypothesis as to why those mutations
and that inheritance will not occur. And then one must test
that hypothesis.

"Intelligent Design" is just a reformulation of Creationism
in which the Creator "guides' the evolution of species rather
than creating them directly by divine will. It is pretty
much the evolutionary equivalent of Tycho Brahe putting the
Earth back at the center of the solar system while leaving
the planets in orbit about the sun. But with one important
exception. Brahe devised his alternative but politically
pleasing model befor the discovery of the theory of gravity
which provided the underlying mechanism for the Copernican
model. The "Intelligent Designers" came up with theirs
long after the underlying mechanisms supporting mainstream
evolutionary theory were well-understood.

"Intelligent Design", like all theologically based philosphical
constructs rests on the premise of some sort of divine
intervention. No scientific theory will or even can disprove
the existance of divine intervention. But no theory that is
dependant on divine intervention, is scientific.

--

FF

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

This is not exactly right. *Some* Intelligent Design theories are proposed
as an alternative to Evolutionary Theory. There are however other
"intelligent design" theories (aka "authorship theories") that posit the
existence of an intelligent creator that operated *by means of evolution*.

Can you state a testable hypothesis that can be used to discriminate
between the operation of evolution by an intelligent creator, and
the operation of evolution without an intelligent creator?

--

FF

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
charlie b wrote:

One of the arguements the ID folks present is
"this organism is extremely complex, too complex
to merely just happen by accident. therefore
it had to be designed by some intelligent entity".

That is their *conclusion*, but they claim they
have a Scientific case to make to support that
conclusion. We may well never know, because
the Science Establishment today it putting huge
resistance up (dare I say, with "religious" fervor)
to avoid having this debate.

What on Earth do you mean by "we may never know"? They
can certainly establish their own journals, societies and
hold their own conferences just like homeopaths, chiropodists,
astrologers and polygraphers have.

Nobody is silencing them any more than the Southern Baptists
silence a polymer chemistry by not inviting a chemist
to give a sermon about semipermeable membranes.

Just because an 'Iders' _says_ he is not religiously motivated
doesn't make it so. One only has to consider the rapant
dishonest of the overtly religious organisations pushing their
agenda to at least wonder if birds of a feather do not,
in reality, flock together.

That the Soviets supported Lamarckism is not proof that
Lamarckism was wrong. But by the time it came to pass that
the Soviet Government was the ONLY supporter of Lamarckism it
was time to question either the honesty or the sanity as
well as the competence of the Larmackists of that era.

Today, the ONLY supporters of 'ID' are the likes of Pat Robertson,
Oral Roberts (damn I wish that check had bounced) and their
minions. Even you don't claim to support ID, you seem only
to be arguing for 'equal time' based on some sort of misplaced
multicultural sense of fairness that might be appropriate if
they wanted to publish in YOUR journal but certainly not in
someone else's!

You seem to believe that the 'IDers' at least honestly think
they have a legitimate scientific claim but the people you
are asking to publish those claims seem to have a different
opinion, that they are dishonest, deluded, or both.

I certainly do not believe the 'IDers' are honest. I believe
they are as dishonest as their vocal political and religious
supporters.

Even more importantly, there is still some
fair debate to be had about just how many
"iterations" there really were. Evolutionary
theory is still open to a lot of interesting
criticism even without ID or authorship ideas.
That is, criticism within the framework of today's
Science.

Of course.

For example, evolution *within* a particular species,
over time, is demonstrable. But evolution from
less complex lifeforms to more complex lifeforms
is still undemonstrated. These upward jumps in
biocomplexity are *inferred* from observation, not
demonstrated by direct experiment. If they
were, the discussion about Evolution would
truly be over. IOW, all the Science Establishment
has to do to shut up the IDers is to show
(experimentally) an primordial soup becoming
a reptile which, in turn, evolves into, say,
Ted Kennedy.

And that is a self-serving argument because it purposefully
ignores the practical matter of the time required for the
process to occur.

A similar criticism can be made for many other natural processes
like plate techtonics or the stellar lifecycle.

Speciation is inferred from the fossil record and by extapolation
from the natural developement of varietals within a species just
like plate techtonics is inferred from the geological record and
by extrapolation from present day motion.

If the AGU refused to accept "Intelligent Navigation" papers
on continental drift would THAT upset you?

--

FF

OT - During disaster, Bush fiddled jim rozen Metalworking 33 September 26th 05 05:15 PM
OT - “I am George W. Bush and I approve this mess.” Cliff Metalworking 15 August 22nd 05 06:05 PM
OT - "George Bush say that the will of God excuses his behavior." [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 23rd 04 10:24 PM
GW Bush dalecue Metalworking 3 September 6th 04 10:49 PM
OT-I ain't No senator's son... Gunner Metalworking 378 February 15th 04 04:30 AM