~Roy

The grinders that are used in sharpening shops are fine, but those
held in a dremel tool suck big time, as when the diameter of that
small round stone wears the cutters do not get ground
properly.........not the case with theones that are used for
commercial sharpening though as the wheel is sort of cocked on an
angle and a wheel of a specified width is used, it just gets smaller
in diameter not width, like the little round stones do.

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:30:21 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

===In article ,
=== granpaw wrote:
===
=== I do not advocate the use of electric sharpening stones, I have used
=== them and found them IMHO to do more harm to a chain than good, as it is
=== near impossible to reliably do each tooth exactly the same.
===
===Clearly, opinions differ. Grinding setups may differ - sounds like you
===have used something with no jig or stop mechanism. With a proper chain
===grinding setup, it's quite trivial (in my experience) to do all the
===teeth essentially the same, and that is why I have that done after
===several cycles of filing, or hitting something that makes filing a major
===chore. My chains develop a "handedness" drift over time (it's difficult
===to file each tooth the same when half of them point the other direction
===- the left and right hands do not file the same, nor does the right hand
===when asked to go backwards - same strokes and trying to use the same
===pressure notwithstanding). A jigged grind job clears this right up,
===which means it's more consistent than I can manage with a file.

"The original frugal ponder"