Ken Davey

granpaw wrote:
Ecnerwal wrote:
snip

My chains develop a "handedness" drift over time (it's difficult
to file each tooth the same when half of them point the other
direction - the left and right hands do not file the same, nor does
the right hand when asked to go backwards - same strokes and trying
to use the same pressure notwithstanding). A jigged grind job clears
this right up, which means it's more consistent than I can manage
with a file.

In my case I file from the side of the bar with the handle of the saw
towards me, my chain(s) has 15 cutters on a side so when I have done
15 teeth on one side I change sides and do the other 15 teeth...the
same number of strokes.
Having done that, I still at times need to take a lot off due to
hitting a rock etc. and it is better to hold it by the bar in a vice,
I even have a removable vice I mount on the truck for times like that.
But when I'm with the skidder say 40 acres back in the woods it is
nice to have an extra loop along too.

Unless you have a need for an ultra perfect chain (competition bucking?)
there is no need to file everything down to meet the 'worst tooth'.
Pick an average and determine how many strokes of the file it takes to get
that one sharp. Give all the others the same number of strokes. Go cut wood.

Ken.