SteveB

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 29 Sep 2005 20:32:28 GMT, Chuck Sherwood
wrote:
so I don't wear chaps, head gear, and definately no ear protection. I
need to hear the cracking sound things make when they fall unexpected or

I am surprised that you have any hearing left. I can't stand to be
around a chain saw at all without hearing protection. I did it as
a kid but not now.

I have a Stihl helmet with the built in face screen and earmuffs. I
find myself much more comfortable cutting, and less distracted, when the
chips aren't flying in my face. Far as I'm concerned, it's as much a
safety feature for keeping stuff out of my eyes, as it is a safety
feature for keeping me from flinching or being distracted by a chunk of
whatever hitting my face.

Daev Hinz

Absolutely. I do a lot of grinding in my welding work. If I have a face
protector on, I don't squint. I don't flinch. I can concentrate more on
the exact point I am working on.

As an aside, I have gone to the doctor two times to have metal slivers
removed from my eyes. Both times, I had safety glasses on, but no face
shield. Then, another time, I was walking in to work, and a blast of wind
on the back dock sent something into my eye that had to be removed by the
doctor.

Protect your eyes and ears, kids. I wear hearing aids now because of
exposure to industrial noise and rock and roll bands. They are great, but
it would be nice to hear things just as they are supposed to sound. It
happens gradually, and it happens to everyone.

My chainsaw is rated at 112db. Ear protection is
"suggested" over 85db.

Steve

Steve