Hi,

I am a locksmith.

Here are some things to consider. First off you may not have to
replace the
box. If you have a 2 3/4" backset you are in business. The grade 1
Schlage
will adjust down to 1 3/8 thickness.

*** The original box was pretty buggered, else I would have done just
that.

If you do need to replace the box, buy one prefabbed. They are cheap.

*** This I did not know. But now I spent a week fabbing my lock block,
and have a certain sentimental attachment to it .

You should get good longevity out of your gate hardware if several
things
are done. First off your gate should be solidly constructed so
*** It's extremely solid. It even has an overhead arch that connects
the two gateposts into a solid structure.

.. Next, consider a good quality
hydraulic door closer as a requirement over a spring hinge.

*** Am definitely considering this. Can you recommend a model? I did
have a "KantSlam" on the gate, but they broke it.

If you have not buggered up the new lock, consider something. This is
on a
gate. ADA compliance should not be a big deal

*** I think it is. This is the front gate to the complex. I'm told
that lawyers these days are wandering around looking for
ADA-noncompliance - even suing landlords who may or may not be
compliant. Having a noncompliant lock in front facing the street is
just asking for it, IMHO. The ADA is apparently one of those laws
that allow lawyers to do "drive-by" lawsuits and sue you on behalf of
somebody who has not even been harmed in any way by your (alleged) lack
of compliance.

First, the lever is an inviting target for vandals to try and force.

*** The lock is supposed to have a feature ("Vandlgard" )where if
somebody forces it, the handle just pops loose - some sort of pin
clutch - and my maintenance guy just pops it back in place.

Secondly the lever will tend to droop over time.
this is because the weight is unbalanced. This eventually causes
problems.

I'll take mechanical problems over an ADA lawsuit any day.

- Jerry Kaidor ( )