~Roy

I'll grab all those knurly pieces especially on an oak the butress
roots, and crotch sections that most folks let lay as they are hard to
split. They brun great and last a lot onger than straight split pieces
do........Harder to stack and also to place in stove, but the results
IMHO are worth the hassles...
On 28 Sep 2005 15:03:44 -0700, wrote:

===...Unfortunately a wedge is too big to get thru the wood stove door and
===a
===limb makes it near impossible to split the tip off the wedge....
=== --
===Dan
===
===I cut up those messy hard-to-split chunks with the chain saw. It cuts
===pretty well with the bar parallel to the trunk, like cutting a slab off
===the side or slicing a big log in half lengthwise. I saw big wet heavy
===sections in half sometimes rather than getting hurt lifting them into
===the trailer.
===
===The long chips jam in the sprocket area unless the bar is angled
===slightly up or down relative to the log, or the saw body is a few
===inches clear of the end of the log for the first pass down.
===
===jw

"The original frugal ponder"