Jeff

"Jennifer Moore" wrote in message
hi people

a few questions to do with glues and paints and similar substances...

(with apologies if these have been discussed recently - I'm not up to
date reading this group. if so then please just give me a clue of what
words to search on.)

1. Kitchen worktop of the kind made of thick chipboard with melamine
(or something resembling melamine) covering/edging.

a) The main new bit is going around the sink, and the fate of the old
bit was to get wet underneath, expand and crumble. I'm thinking that
before we install the new bit I would like to paint the underneath of it
and all exposed edges with some very waterproof paint or varnish - I was
thinking of the kind you put on boats (and maybe that's overkill and
maybe not).

If this is not a foolish idea which you'd like to talk me out of, then
can anyone tell me what that's called and/or a brand name and where I
would get it?

I used a small tin of polyurethane varnish round all cutouts 6 years ago and
have had no problems

b) In another place I have a chipboard edge that is destined to be a
melamine edge, if you see what I mean. (This is not on the bit around
the sink, and will rarely get wet.)

I have some matching edging, but what I don't know is what kind of glue
is best for sticking it on. Advice?

evo-stick contact adhesive

The edge in question is straight except for a little corner just at the
end, so probably it'll be one long bit and one short bit, although an
alternative would be to round off the corner and bend it all in one
piece. (The corner angle is convex and fairly shallow, much gentler
than 90 degrees.)

I cut the corner off and did the end and corner as 2 bits

Any clues about successful sticking-on and cutting-to-size would be
useful too, e.g. best thing to cut the edging with, and whether it's
likely to work better doing the curve or the two separate angles.

I used a dremel type tool with a small sanding drum to trim

Regards Jeff