Abrasha

Hello,

I'm the happy(?) owner of an apartment complex. A few years ago, we
put in security fencing and power gates. We also have a small gate for
pedestrians.

My tenants are pretty rough on the physical plant, and the
pedestrian gate has been no exception. They have repeatedly broke the
lock ( a Titan by Kwikset ). The steel box in the gate that the lock
lives in has also been somwhat munged. I decided I'd had enough.

I bought an ANSI grade 1 Schlage lock - the kind you might find on a
courthouse or a public school. Made to take it. The new lock requires
a thicker box, and has requirements for support of the latch inside the
box.

So I went down to the steel store bought a plate of 1 3/4" thick
mild steel, big enough to mount the lock with. I drilled this chunk of
steel for the lock - took me almost a week. Went through four hole
saws, burned out a cheap chinese angle grinder, almost fried my drill
press. Had to make a special jig to hold the sucker before I could
inset the latch plate with my Sherline mill.

Then I realized that the thing was WAY too heavy - it would act as
a hammerhead on the end of the gate, and bash the post to death. So I
swiss-cheesed it out with lightening holes. Got it down to 4 1/2
pounds.

Now I need to go out to the complex, cut the existing box in the
gate and weld in my block.

Whups, don't have a welder. Well, I do have an oxyacetalene torch,
but it's surely not big enough to weld in that block!

I was thinking of sourcing a small but quality MIG welder - say one
of the small Hobarts or Lincolns. Probably such would not be enough
to weld the block directly - but what if I preheat it with a propane
torch? I could probably preheat it to 400degrees or so, no problem.
Would a MIG welder that is essentially too small, work if used that
way?

I ask because I really do not plan to do a whole lot in "big iron",
and would rather not buy a monster machine just for this one job.
Thanks in advance,

- Jerry Kaidor (
)

Instead of going through all of this, have you considered getting
yourself a better piece of property in a better neighborhood, with
better tenants?

Where you have no need for security fencing and power gates?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com