You are right, sharpening a chain does take some time. But not a lot
of time to touch it up. And it takes time to remove and replace the
chain too plus driving to where ever one gets chains sharpened plus
money for gas. For me the time to sharpen a chain is less than the time
I would spend at the counter of the saw shop when picking up the
sharpened chain. And it is kind of like grinding a lathe tool bit. I
don't think one has to do it a lot to remember how.

I will say I probably cut the life of the first chain I sharpened in
half, so it cost me $10 to learn based on a $20 new chain ( and that
does not count the time ).

Dan