william_b_noble

I think you will find that a used stick welder in the 280 to 300 amp range
costs less than a new MIG, even a taiwan cheapie one, and a plain old stick
welder will do the job you need done, correctly, the first time. Unless you
have enough current, the weld won't penetrate the metal and it won't be very
strong.

snip-----------------

I was thinking of sourcing a small but quality MIG welder - say one
of the small Hobarts or Lincolns. Probably such would not be enough
to weld the block directly - but what if I preheat it with a propane
torch? I could probably preheat it to 400degrees or so, no problem.
Would a MIG welder that is essentially too small, work if used that
way?

I ask because I really do not plan to do a whole lot in "big iron",
and would rather not buy a monster machine just for this one job.
Thanks in advance,

- Jerry Kaidor ( )