larry g

Boris
The top of the wedge should be dressed the same as you dress your cold
chisels, you do dress your chisels don't you? Anyway grind the mushroomed
metal from the edges of the top and then bevel the top at ~30 to 45 degrees
all around the top to side intersection. The flat on the bevel for a wedge
should be about 1/4" wide. This will prevent splintering and knocking chunks
off the wedge.
lg
no neat sig line

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
Taking it back to metal content, is there a good method for toughening up
splitting wedge when it starts to mushroom? Few months ago a steel chip
broke of with such a ferocity the it sliced through my pants and imbedded
itself in the side of my knee. I sustained some minor nerve damage and
would
not want to repeat the experience. I have a TIG/STICK welder.

As far a sharpening goes I am back to file. I tried various rotary bits
but
as they wear, the diameter of bit changes and you do not get the proper
cut.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things)
http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place