John Rumm

James Amor wrote:

Have you thought of simply rendering the wall using a sand cement mortar
with some waterproof admixture in it, and then tiling straight onto that?

I had thought about it, but I'd like to keep the amount of time the bathroom
is out of use to a minimum and I don't really want to have to wait for

The render need not be that thick, so will be dry enough to tile in a
couple of days.

render to dry. Also, I'm not sure if I could manage to get it flat enough to
tile!

Do like I did and cheat ;-)

Stick a batten either side to set the depth, then all you need do is
slap the stuff up and rule it off against the battens. Once you are
happy that it is level enough (final tweaking can be done at adhesive
spreading time), let it go off a bit and pop the battens out, and fill
in the gaps.

--
Cheers,

John.