Peter Crosland

Default Attached Garage and Planning Permission for Change of Use

At around the same time the documents came through from the solictor
(we had just bought this house) and the original planning permission
granted for the 2-storey extension that contains the garage (ground
floor Kitchen + Garage, 1st Floor Bedroom) had a condition attached to
it that the garage must remain a garage to preserve on-site parking.

What led me to believe I could convert the garage in the first place
was the presence in the locality (on my street and adjacent roads) of
other properties where similar works had been carried out.

Rule one is to check and check again before buying.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with planning departments /
getting conditions removed or establishing planning precedents?

In order to get a condition altered you have to convince the planners that
it is reasonable and will comply with current planning rules. It sounds if
if others may have just ignored the condition. In most cases after four
years the power to enforce it lapses. The fact that others have got away
with it probably increases the liklihood that the Council will not alter it
since the purpose was to reduce on street parking.

Another thing I cannot understand is the that they require the full
fee for the planning permission. For £110 you could make an addition
(extension, conservatory etc) but for change of use the full rate is
levied.....why?

--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me