Jess

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I've been working for months to set up a small steel fabrication

business
out of my home. Today I stopped by City Hall in the bucolic little

suburb
I live in and found out that they certainly allow businesses in homes,

but
none with welding. Ack. Anyone run into this before?

A lot depends on your neighborhood. And your neighbors.

Grant, meet City Hall. City Hall, meet Grant.

Steve

Yeah, we had a somewhat celebrated case in the St. Louis area where a
lady got served with a court order for TEACHING PIANO in her home!
I think she finally got a sympathetic judge to rule that what she was
doing was not a "commercial enterprise" under the local zoning rules,
but she was out of business for about a year. The problem was that
parents were dropping off and picking up kids at her house!

So, I suppose, you could probably be served with a court order to
cease and desist having friends visit you or your kids at your own
house, if your neighbors are crazy enough.

And, of course, there was the really celebrated case where the
Chicago school teacher couple were forced to rent an office, because
they were using TYPEWRITERS in their own home to prepare lesson
plans and tests for their classes in their home. This was back in
the late 70's or early 80's.

The bottom line is the rules are interpreted by "those in authority",
and they can have incredibly wide interpretation of the meaning of the
ordinances, until a court hopefully brings them back to reality.

Jon

I recently bought a plotter/cutter and am doing signs and graphics from my
home and it is very restrictive. I am still in the welding business but am
getting this going for when I decide to retire from welding. SO, if you need
signs or graphics you can email me at for a quote and
keep it off here. Like customers cannot come to your house. You can only use
one room of your home for this business. Any and all equipment must be
retained in that one room, not in garage, backyard, no where, except in that
one room they allow you. No signs advertising your business. If you have a
company truck, it cannot contain your business name, truck if it does have
signs on it, must not be visible from the street. Just all kinds of crap. I
should have just said screw the city and not gotten a license at all but I
am getting large enough orders that I have to have legitimate standing in
order to sell the signs and graphics that I can produce. ISN'T CITY LIFE
JUST ABSOLUTELY PEACHY.