Don Foreman

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:25:30 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[Your torch tips are threaded, Don? Most I've seen have straight pipe
ends.]

The end of the burner is straight, but some disassembly is possible on
most torches. I have an old Bernz-O-Matic that accepted replacable
threaded orifices. Used that for a while. Many torches have a 5/16"
dia brass tube that screws into the valve body, even if they don't
use removable orifices. I have a B-O-M like that, and a recent one
by Goss that is also made that way. Model GP-9
http://www.gossonline.com/hand_torches.asp
available from Enco. 505-4820.

I made an adaptor that fits the threaded hole in the B-O-M valve that
accepts the stems I made to fit the old setup with the replacable
orifices.

See http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/rattlecan/

This is the valve body from an old B-O-M I found at a garage sale for
a buck. This is easier to use because it's a straight push down on
the propane bottle with the spraycan sitting on the bench.

[Good idea, Don. I wonder if you could just use a rubber tipped blow
gun with a small paper clip (as a valve depressor, through the side)
to accomplish the same thing.]

I think that would result in paint all over the place. A trick to
this is to have the nozzle stem fit the can snugly and push it in
smartly. Then turn on the propane. It only takes a couple of
seconds to take as much as it's going to. Pull out smartly, replace
nozzle. Shake can vigorously so it won't plug again. Commence or
resume spraying!