Don Foreman

On 26 Sep 2005 18:28:17 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Eric R Snow says...

... I'm still ****ed
about how stupid I was, and how stupid my neighbor is.

Any time I see a suicide cord, I figure it requires *special*
respect. And that goes for cords with alligator clips on one end,
cords with two male cord caps, or cords with bare wires at the
other end.

They don't call 'em suicide cords for nothing.

If I were to set something like this up, I would never allow
anyone to think about setting it in operation.

Jim

Good points all. I'm the only one that would ever do anything
electrical around here, but I'll still be re-thinking this a bit.

By "pulling the breaker", I meant pulling it so it's in my hand, then
set aside. Perhaps it would have to be inserted into my "transfer
box" at the genny to connect. It can only be in one place at a time.

A double-ended plug does sound like asking for trouble. I'll
contrive some kind of safe connection scheme. Switches and relays are
definitely not to be trusted. An FMEA (Failure Mode Effects Analysis)
is in order here.

No hurry. I'll take the time to get it right. A transfer switch is
the certified "right" way to do it -- about $300 for $15 worth of
stuff.