Andy Hall

On 26 Sep 2005 08:45:33 -0700, wrote:

I want to batten the walls and install some insulation, but I want to
make sure it's rodent resistant/proof.

Probably use exterior grade osb on the inside, but what insulation to
use ? rockwool or Glass fibre mat ?

What would mice etc not like to nest in is probably the query.

Also need to insulate an up and over garage door, what's best to stick
on here. Clearly I won't be skinning it over with wood due to excess
weight. How about around the edges where the gaps are ?

Thanks

Paul.

I have a recipe for all of this which I've posted a few times, Paul.

My garage has a pitched, trussed, felted roof.

Roof
====

50mm Celotex attached to rafters using long drywall screws with
washers to spread fixing area. Joints taped with foil tape. Leaves
ventilation gap behind.

Fitted vents to soffits.

Ceiling level
=============

Boarded over joists with T&G floorboards apart from one area with
liftable hatch and a loft type folding ladder. This provides storage
area above work area which is dry but prevents heat from rising too
quickly from heated work area.

Floor
=====

Treated with epoxy floor paint system. One coat of primer mix and two
of finish.

Walls
=====

Created stud frames and bolted bottom plates to floor through DPC
material and fastened to rafters at top. 15mm air gap behind. Filled
frame with 50mm Celotex. Clad with 18mm WBP ply to allow fixings to
be made anywhere.

Doors
=====

Cut and fitted 50mm Celotex to doors using Gripfill. Fitted vinyl
weather strips to all gaps by sandwiching strip between lengths of
hardwood (treated) and self tap screwing to edges of doors.

Heating
=======

From house system via stainless steel heat exchanger with primary
controlled by a zone valve and separate pump on secondary circuit.
Secondary system filled with antifreeze corrosion inhibitor to prevent
secondary freezing when system off for extended period.

Net result is that space that needed 12kW to heat and in practice got
6kW max, can be heated to 18 degrees at any time of year quite cheaply
using about 3kW. I have about 7kW of radiator capacity deliberately
done to be able to raise the temperature quickly if wanted. It's
usable at any time now, whereas before it was a miserable experience.

I could have gone a step further and made an insulated floor, but I
didn't want to lose the height or have a ramp; plus I have a
woodworking combination machine weighing around a tonne, so floor
would have needed to be quite substantial.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl