jakdedert

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would argue that a radio that receives AM stations from a moderate
distance is likely the best device for hearing broadcasts that would
interest one in a disaster area. After you get a certain distance from
the event, stations do not carry revelant information for the
situation.

If you are in your home, a satellite dish would make sense for a news
feed.

Both assume that you have power to spare.

As I have mentioned before, I have been in several situations where it
was important to see what the live feed was from the local television
station so I have seen the usefulness of a small portable tv.

TMT

I have several com devices which are handy in a weather emergency. The
LCD TV is very good to catch incoming weather radar images. A pair of
FRS radios with NOAA weather radio are also a plus. Add to that, a good
AM/FM portable, cell phone. Shortwave, I don't see as that useful, as
one is more concerned with local information, not Radio Havana.

The new programmable weather radios which operate off battery or AC are
great. You can set the alarm to only sound for *very* local
emergencies...a big improvement over the older, cheaper models which
sound off for any warning within the entire region.

jak