Michael A. Terrell

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I would argue that a radio that receives AM stations from a moderate
distance is likely the best device for hearing broadcasts that would
interest one in a disaster area. After you get a certain distance from
the event, stations do not carry revelant information for the
situation.

If you are in your home, a satellite dish would make sense for a news
feed.

Both assume that you have power to spare.

As I have mentioned before, I have been in several situations where it
was important to see what the live feed was from the local television
station so I have seen the usefulness of a small portable tv.

TMT

Like I said, there were no local stations on the air at first, and
there was no electricity for almost a month, total. I did get some
information from stations outside the immediate area, because they were
in contact with the local EOC office and were helping get the
information out. A neighbor had a 12 V tv and ran his sat rec off an
inverter, but the only local TV station was off the air and couldn't
uplink any news to a bird so all he got was national news from TV. The
shortwave radio helped me to track the eyes of the hurricanes, and
later, to here international news after I was allowed to go home from
the hurricane shelter. Its better to have more resources than you
need, than not enough. I have a three week supply of fresh AA. C and D
cells, two battery radios, four good flashlights and almost three weeks
worth of food for emergencies. A couple times in my life I have found
myself stuck at home, and I learned to keep plenty of things for
emergencies. I rotate the supplies by buying fresh stuff and using the
oldest so I don't end up with a bunch of out of date food and drinking
water or batteries.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell