Duane Bozarth

Patriarch wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote:

Guess who wrote in
:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:46:06 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

I need to make 350lf of tongue and grove in Jatoba (356 of tongue,
350 of grove), and was wondering what was the best approach?

Whichever method you choose, consider that control of the stock and
feed rates will have a major effect on the quality of the results,
and the safety to the operator.

A pro shop would likely use a power feeder on something looking a lot
like a shaper.

Keep in mind that jatoba is way up the hardness scale...

That's what I'd use but I suspect OP doesn't have that option unless
this looks like a good (enough) excuse...

My estimate is that this is probably about US$1k in materials cost. And
this is a big project, no matter how you look at it, for a hobby guy.
I'm one of those, for certain.

Do it carefully, Cyrille.

Yes, indeedy, that's first and foremost...

For a real answer regarding how I'd do it by hand, I'd like to know the
size of the pieces (length, width, thickness) and the size of the T&G.
Plus, it would be helpful to know the toolset available.

A 1/4" groove on 10-ft or less 3/4" stock of 6" or less width I'd
probably cut w/ the help of a jig/featherboard/infeed/outfeed tables on
the tablesaw--but I have a 5hp PM66. If I only had a very small
contractor setup, I'd probably rethink that entirely.

I've done a lot of moulding of similar nature w/ the RAS and a moulding
head in the past, but I suspect Cyrille doesn't have one of those,
either....I've used the moulding head on the tablesaw or set up
double-bladed cuts as for tenoning to do such things, as well.