Rick

On 26 Sep 2005 04:55:47 -0700, wrote:

I need to have full plans for my extension, due to building near a
public sewer. I also want to be able to fully budget before starting,
and dont want hassles with revising plans etc. Is it a good idea to
not-very-diy employ an architect ? If not, whats the best way of
producing good plans in the high level of detail required ?
If architect, any recommended. I don't want much advice on the layout
etc, just the regs/drawings.
Simon.

Your the same guy that was asking about digging foundations by hand.

To get a rough price, get a copy of homebuilding and reovationg
magazine, the have a price caculator in the back. As they say you need
to add extra for problems - like your drain - and the wife changing
her mind several times.

You need an architect. Thease come in a variety of guises, from the
arty farty grand designs no one in the right mind can afford to build
- upside down roof types, to the down to earth, do a good job at a
good price type. Get a few round, show them your sketches, and get
some quotes out of them. There are so many things that you can not
know about, but the architect should put all the building details on
the building regs plans. Mine knew I was self building my project, and
gave a price for an "on site advice session" where he comes out, and
sorts out my latest bunch of issues.

I had a simple test for mine, I told them the site was muddy, any that
did not bring wellies were written off. The one I chose did his
measured survey on the day of the first chat, and quoted for his whole
job at the same time.

If you still plan to dig your foundations by hand, choose a guy thats
not over 50, and has no plans of moving, and is in good heath. You
need him to still be there in 5 years time. I told mine I had a 10
year project plan.

Rick