news.verizon.net

As for engraving, I am looking to scribe a very thin line, as in .00025"
I don't think a router will get me that.

Keith Walker

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
. ..
:
: "news.verizon.net" wrote in message
: news:s5iZe.1053$qC4.330@trnddc02...
: I have been told that it is difficult to laser cut styrene as the
plastic
: will burn and curl up as the laser cuts through it.
:
: I assume that this is due to the heat insulative properties of styrene.
:
: The question, is there a plastic that will cut easily, is glueable,
: bendable, and can be etched in a thickness down to .005 or .010 inch?
:
: I have heard that acrylic that is laser cut is too thick.
:
: I don't know about ABS, and heard that PVC fumes are too dangerous.
:
: Thanks
: Keith Walker
:
:
: The best (and cheapest) way to cut and engrave most plastics is with a CNC
: router. The machines can cut as fast as laser and give an excellent finish
: if the travel speed is kept at reasonable speed. Most cutting contractors
: prefur a DXF format drawing as do the laser cutters. An alternative which
is
: slower and usually more expensive is water jet. I usually reserve that for
: hard stuff like tungsten carbide or glass,but it will cut plastics very
: nicely if that's all that's available in your area.
:
: Tom
:
: