Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor wrote:

"markjohnson102" . com
wrote in message
ter.com...

Hi,
I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipes
and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to get
without going overboard? also, is there a particula type of
plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installed
against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark
Ask for regularised timber at a timber merchants. It is even and
straight, not like rough sawn timber, so your wall surface will be nice
and flat. Nominal sizes 47x75 or 47x100 will do it. You might want to
think about using treated timber if there's a risk of it getting wet.

Don't use plasterboard anywhere near showers - even the green
"moisture-proof" sort. It will soak up any moisture that touches it, and
disintegrate behind the tiles.

Thats why you tile it.
I've got it everywhere. No probs at all.

Honestly, I've seen so many serious problems caused by leaks around showers,
usually due to cracked grouting or split or poorly bonding silicon mastic,
but also sometimes leaking plumbing. The problem is you usually don't know
for ages that it's leaking until there is visible evidence, and by then the
damage has been done, especially if the water has affected any plasterboard.
It's like anything risky, someday it's gonna happen to YOU.

Plywood is not advisable either, as it's difficult to get a good bond
with the tile adhesive.

It isn;t actually...if you use a suitable one. Evostick waterproof has
worked FINE for me on a softwood surface with a ply section...

It's best to
use a cement backing board such as Aquapanel, which you can get at DIY
stores. It comes in 900x1200 panels (which are quite heavy). This site
shows you how to use it:
http://tinyurl.com/bfbd4

It may be best, but its really overkill.

It's the right material, made specially for the job, so why not use it? An
alternative is Hardibacker 500 cement board. I've never used it but I've
heard it's much lighter and easier to use than Aquapanel.
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/downloads.html