markjohnson102

Default Stud wall for pipes

Hi,
I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipes
and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to get
without going overboard? also, is there a particula type of
plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installed
against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

--
markjohnson102
Peter Taylor

"markjohnson102" . com
wrote in message
ter.com...

Hi,
I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipes
and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to get
without going overboard? also, is there a particula type of
plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installed
against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark
Ask for regularised timber at a timber merchants. It is even and straight,
not like rough sawn timber, so your wall surface will be nice and flat.
Nominal sizes 47x75 or 47x100 will do it. You might want to think about
using treated timber if there's a risk of it getting wet.

Don't use plasterboard anywhere near showers - even the green
"moisture-proof" sort. It will soak up any moisture that touches it, and
disintegrate behind the tiles. Plywood is not advisable either, as it's
difficult to get a good bond with the tile adhesive. It's best to use a
cement backing board such as Aquapanel, which you can get at DIY stores. It
comes in 900x1200 panels (which are quite heavy). This site shows you how
to use it:
http://tinyurl.com/bfbd4

Interesting - I've done two showers now and both have had one wall
which is plasterboard without any problems whatsoever. The current one
is 15 years. I'm not decrying what you say by any means - just taking
on board what you are saying but pointing out that if properly
constructed there should be no problems.

Rob

The Natural Philosopher

markjohnson102 wrote:

Hi,
I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipes
and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to get
without going overboard? also, is there a particula type of
plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installed
against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

marine ply about 3/8" is top banana. If you want a decent finsih nail
plasterboard on it.

MDF ain't bad at all, and tiles and paints well, but cracks between
sheets may be an issue - hard to get it all right in one sheet. Lining
paper maybe...

Plasterboard is fine really - use foil backed of course - if you make up
mounting plates behind for the shower stuff.

The Natural Philosopher

Peter Taylor wrote:

"markjohnson102" . com
wrote in message
[...]

Thats why you tile it.
I've got it everywhere. No probs at all.

Plywood is not advisable either, as
it's difficult to get a good bond with the tile adhesive.

It isn;t actually...if you use a suitable one. Evostick waterproof has
worked FINE for me on a softwood surface with a ply section...

It's best to
use a cement backing board such as Aquapanel, which you can get at DIY
stores. It comes in 900x1200 panels (which are quite heavy). This site
shows you how to use it:
http://tinyurl.com/bfbd4

It may be best, but its really overkill.

Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor wrote:

"markjohnson102" . com
wrote in message
[...]

Honestly, I've seen so many serious problems caused by leaks around showers,
usually due to cracked grouting or split or poorly bonding silicon mastic,
but also sometimes leaking plumbing. The problem is you usually don't know
for ages that it's leaking until there is visible evidence, and by then the
damage has been done, especially if the water has affected any plasterboard.
It's like anything risky, someday it's gonna happen to YOU.

Plywood is not advisable either, as it's difficult to get a good bond
with the tile adhesive.

It isn;t actually...if you use a suitable one. Evostick waterproof has
worked FINE for me on a softwood surface with a ply section...

It's best to
use a cement backing board such as Aquapanel, which you can get at DIY
stores. It comes in 900x1200 panels (which are quite heavy). This site
shows you how to use it:
http://tinyurl.com/bfbd4

It may be best, but its really overkill.

It's the right material, made specially for the job, so why not use it? An
alternative is Hardibacker 500 cement board. I've never used it but I've
heard it's much lighter and easier to use than Aquapanel.
http://www.jameshardieeu.com/downloads.html

Rick

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:15:22 +0100, markjohnson102
. com wrote:

Hi,
I'm refitting a bathroom and need to build a stud wall to hide pipes
and the waste from the shower tray. What's the best size wood to get
without going overboard? also, is there a particula type of
plasterboard I should get (an off the wall shower will be installed
against this wall when tiled).

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

I used 2x4 for the wall, and normal platerboard, however aquaboard is
better. I went a bot OTT with the 4x2 so the plasterboard had no flex
in it when up.

Rick