Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
news
"stoutman" .@. wrote in message

snip
I don't think I or anyone NEEDS a $1000 TS unless you do this for a
living. For me its just a hobby and probably just a hobby for the
OP.

Fine furniture was made before the power table saw. True, no one
NEEDS a better one, but the op was looking to upgrade. If you are
going to upgrade, get something that is truly better, more convenient,
etc. I started out with a cheap Craftsman direct drive saw and it
served me well for a couple of years. Not knowing how well I'd do or
if I'd be serious abut the hobby, it was a good move. But, when I
moved up, I went at least two notches. One frustration with the
benchtop was cross cutting wide boards. Moving up to a full sized
contractor model gave me a few more inches of space in front of hte
blade. It was great.

My work improved signficantly when I rolled the Shopsmith into the corner,
and brought in a Unisaw. Fences stayed square. Blades ran true. Arbors
tilted properly. I could cut heavier, longer & wider stock.

I also took a few classes, read a lot of posts here, hung out with some
remarkable folks in the woodworking club, and stopped working 90 hour weeks
in a mind- and body-killing job.

The tool was no longer the limiting factor, and I am fortunate that
affording the tool was/is not a problem. Now, when I screw up, I know
_exactly_ whose fault it is.

Patriarch