D Murphy

"mr electron" wrote in
ups.com:

I have applied to a machine shop looking for apprentices. This week I
will have in interview and was wondering the typical attire for this
type of interview. I've always been taught to dress neatly in the
typical attire of the employees working there. Shop attire there is
typically jeans and a t-shirt.

I have no time to purchase any clothing due to my schedule. Would
wearing a pair of work pants and a dark t-shirt be okay? That would be
typical attire of the employees there. The only other option I have is
a 3-piece suit, which I believe would be out of the question for this
type of job.

Wear the slacks from your suit along with the tie. I haven't seen anyone
wearing a three piece suit in about 15 years.

When I was in your position I always wore a tie and more often than not
was offered the job. You only get one chance to make a first and lasting
impression. If they get 20 or so applicants that they interview, what are
you going to do to stand out? If nothing else taking the time to dress up
and look your best will show that you are serious.

Will you feel out of place? No doubt. The prospective employer will
almost always comment on the way you're dressed. Often along the lines of
"you're not dressed for working in a machine shop. Are you sure this is
what you want to do?" The best response is "If you want me to start
today, I'll run home and change." "I just figured if you were going to
give me some of your time, I would show you that I respect that." Sounds
corny but it works.

When applying for an apprentice job make sure to ask questions about what
they do and how they do it. Avoid questions along the lines of "What's in
it for me?" Apprentice jobs rarely if ever have negotiable wages and/or
bennies. You also want the employer to know that you have mechanical
ability. If you know how to read a micrometer, have some experience, etc.
make sure they know that as well.

For this type of opening an employer will often ask what your habbies
are. Fixing cars, woodworking, etc. are always good. But don't lie. You
never know if the guy is a gearhead or a woodworker himself. Another
question is what do you want to be doing in ten years? Have an answer
ready. "Right now I plan on being the best journeyman in your shop" is a
pretty good answer. I answered "Your job" once and was offered the job.
The guy laughed and said, "Well at least your honest." I wouldn't use
that as a pat answer but it felt right at the time.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you get it.

--

Dan